Thursday, September 10, 2026

2026 Mt. Whitney Hike: Day 3, Big Wet Meadow To Colby Lake: Senses

Day 3: 
Distance:  4.83 miles
Elevation Gain:  1944 ft. 

It is a fair question to ask how I sleep on such outings.

The answer I always give is "Not worse than I do at home".  It is a bit surprising given the fact that I am essentially sleeping on a foam pad and sleeping bag on the ground - but as it turns out, we go to bed early enough (anything past 2000 is a late night on the trail) that by default I allow for the inevitable waking up and lying there.  My sleep pattern becomes a rhythm of sleeping on my back until my right knee hurts too much, then rolling on my left or right side until my knee hurts, then rolling back on my back.

To be honest, at my age I anticipated sleeping much worse.  As long as I monitor my liquid intake in the evening (and thus forego the need to get up at night), I feel relatively rested.

Naps help.



We are slightly later in getting up today: our mileage is less but it is almost all uphill.  Breakfast is oatmeal and additions (as I have oatmeal almost every day in real life, this is more like going home).  Luxuriously, by 0730 we are on the trail.


When I say up, I mean up.  We are cutting around the left side of Whale Back Ridge, which looks ridiculous from the valley floor. Many things end up looking ridiculous from one point of view when hiking; then you do them and they are no longer ridiculous.


As part of our walk, we stop by and see a cabin referred to Shorty's Cabin, names for a trapper that had several cabins around the area.  He predated this area as a park and effectively got grandfathered in, although after these became government land he could no longer trap there.  He trapped around the edges and still used the cabins; he was active up to the middle of the last century.





For lunch, we stop again at what is generally called Waterpark, a large granite area with a potential slide and pool at the bottom.  We spend a fair amount of time here - we continue to beat the clock in terms of lunch - and have lunch.  I soak my feet and have lunch and watch The Outdoorsman fly fish in the pool.

---




One thing hiking confronts me with is the use of my senses.

I seem to largely ignore them when I am in my "real" life.  Perhaps "ignore" is a strong terms:  there is simply much less to sense in the homogenized environment in which I live.  Part of that is due to the modern office environment: noise is at a minimum, smells are reduced so as not create issues.  There is minimal contact with people or the environment beyond the room is "hot" or "cold".  

Arguably, it is like we are living in a cocoon.



Being outside and away from "regular life" gets us away from all that.

Colours are bolder and not muted; smells can be "loud" or subdued (smell is my least developed sense).  I feel the trail beneath my feet and grasp greenery from time to time simply to feel it. My feet become gritty with dust, my face and torso wet with sweat.  Sadly, I reek of myself after only one or two days of not showering.



On a stream crossing, my foot missed the rock and became wet.  I walked with my wet foot all day; when was the last time I had a foot wet longer than five minutes?  When was the last time I simply accepted it and continued on?

To hike, or to engage in any activity that involves being out and about or fully involving ourselves, involves our sense.  The fact that we have dulled them, or allowed them to be dulled by modern living, should bother us more than I think it does.  We have civilized them, neutered them, reduced them to the equivalent of "indoor voices". 

We should seek our "outdoor voices" more often.

---

(Lunch - Peanut Butter and Jelly tortillas and dried mangos)

At about 1400 - well before we were anticipated - we arrive at Colby Lake.


Camping here is all on granite.  Tents are secured by rocks instead of stakes.  I throw my tent up and take a two hour on again-off again nap; the sun beating down on my makes the tent too hot.


Others disperse and do various activities:  hopping in the lake, fishing, thinking.  A group swims across the lake.  I continue to nap, then slowly get up and wash my socks and feet.  I find I am worn out at the end of the day.


Dinner, as noted above, is fajitas - again, one of my favourites.  These hikes cost a bit more than some other ones, but are worth every penny for the food if nothing else.







We go to bed a bit earlier than normal; tomorrow is the Colby Pass, arguably the first test of the hike.


7 comments:

  1. Nylon127:08 AM

    Really enjoying this opportunity to take this hike with you TB without having to sweat.......:) Excellent vids, one can feel the sun beating down. As to the senses look at the development of HVAC systems over the last hundred years, cocoon indeed. So Colby Lake......curious I am, making toilet how does that work on granite TB?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12 - Happy that I could sacrifice on your behalf, sir!

      This was one of the hottest days we had. My nap in the tent was uncomfortable to say the least as I was largely in the sun.

      Just beyond the granite are trees. It is a bit harder digging looking for soil, but possible.

      Delete
  2. I've always felt that I've slept a bit better than I do at home when on a trail and sleeping in a tent. I have always blamed the exercise and copious amounts of fresh air and sunshine as the reason. That doesn't mean I sleep longer or even deeper, but it just feels more restorative on my body and mind.

    Food really is an important factor on such trips. So many reduce themselves to almost prisoner like rations of the same unappetizing stuff for the entire time. I've always tried to have a good variety of meals and at least for most of my trips, time isn't rushed so we have plenty of time to cook and enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I define every adventure or place I go now by "Did I sleep any worse than I do at home?" The fact that I tend to go to bed earlier helps compensate for the awake times - and as you correctly point out, physical exercise never hurt a sleeping pattern.

      I will say the food is one of the reasons I continue to use this hiking group. Yes, you have to carry every scrap in, but it definitely beats some of the videos I have seen, or even the 1-2 day trips I have taken in the past. The fact that we got to camp so early made cooking meals (or rather, watching them) a quite social activity.

      Delete
  3. NewHere10:34 AM

    How do you carry enough water for 7-8 days of drinking, cooking, and hygiene? It seems like a lot of weight. Is there some cached along the way? Water purifiers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi N.H.! Great question!

      As you suspect, we filter on a regular basis. We try to start out the day with 2-3 liters of water and take the opportunity to refill once a day, if not more. Most of the campsites on this trip are by water sources. It is only on the latter part of Day 7 to mid-Day 8 we have to carry all our water with us.

      Delete
  4. Nature definitely can be loud. On the other hand, perhaps I just pay more attention to it. Human generated noises I tend to ignore.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!