Saturday, May 27, 2023

Hammerfall 2.0: Of Produce

 This week I completed my initial on the job training for my part-time produce job.

It has been seven years since I have had to start a new position and something like twenty-five years since I have started a job not in this industry, so the process has been an interesting one.  As you may recall, I had an initial round of on-line training over the last three weeks or so, which involved about 8 hours of videos, a combination of company history, safety practices, introduction to the department, and a small dose of personnel related training.

After that, it was out to the floor to work closing.

Produce, as it turns out (perhaps not to my surprise) is not inherently a terribly difficult job   It consists of facing produce and moving it up in the shelf/bin, replenishing stock that has been sold, culling produce that has damage, putting new stock out from the cold box, cleaning, and customer service.  In that sense, even an unfortunately over-educated individual like myself can thrive in such an environment.

Transferring and culling is to my mind the most difficult, as I had to make decisions on what stays and what goes. I am not at all good at interpreting when fruits and vegetables are "past their prime" beyond demonstrated issues such as mold and soft spots, but I started to learn (for example, apparently if avocadoes feel like a bag of wet sand, they are past their prime and apples which feel more waxy are nearing the same point).  If one has shopped for produce in the past, it is helpful:  knowing at home where the issues are with fruit and vegetables, I can more easily identified them at the store.  I know what the start of mold in strawberry packages looks like, or soft spots in tomatoes or the beginnings of wilt and slime in leafy greens.  In other words, do unto customers at the store as you do for yourself at home.

Customer interactions - something I tend to dread as an introvert - were really not that difficult or challenging.  Most people have questions about out of stocks or where to find something or occasionally the price of something, questions that are pretty easily answered and I am sure I will get better at.

Out of Stocks: There seems to be no rhyme or reason.  In the two days I worked, we were out of red onions (1 day) and grapes (3 days).  Why?  Who knows.  If they are not on the morning truck, we do not have them.  Not sure if it is a localized store issue or wider, but that would be an interesting metric to track to see if seasonality or other issues are factors.

For the first time in I cannot remember, how long,  I had a mandated 30 minute lunch (unpaid) and 15 minute break (paid).  30 minutes, as it turns out, is more than enough time to eat, check things on your phone, and be a bit bored.

The works was not terribly strenuous, as the boxes and bins themselves are not too heavy, nor did I find myself particularly sore the day after.  It has been a considerable amount of time since I have been on my feet for that long, something which is probably good for me (and one reason I contemplated such a job in the first place).

How did I find it overall?  Honestly, not that bad.  Other than the concern in my mind about missing something that was going bad or not moving older fruits and vegetables up front (grading avocadoes may be the death of me), it was just the right amount of busy: there is a schedule and work to be done, but it is not highly mentally demanding and it keeps the hands busy and my biggest decision to date was whether to cull something or not, not thing like "How much have we spent on a $20 million project" or "Do I need to reject this material that cost us $1 million to make?".  The lack of stress, at least there, was palpable.

My intent is to keep this job regardless of the outcome of my current job search and, even if I find an industry job, to keep it as long as I can.  It makes for a good palate cleanser.  I like getting 15% off house brands (and I have already used that to good effect).  It has me actually being active.  And frankly, even if the money is not a great deal, I honestly feel more proud of the two checks I have gotten so far than my earnings for years (which is surprising to me as it is obviously much less).

Martin Luther argued for the dignity of work, whether lay or clerical.  Sometimes there is nothing like a manual sort of job to remind one that all work has dignity based not on the importance or salary, but simply on the fact that it is productive labor.

20 comments:

  1. I think the concept of the dignity of work is pretty much lost in our modern society. Which is a real shame because there is so much truth in it. There is something extremely satisfying about reflecting on the day and acknowledging that one was tangibly productive. The focus now seems to be one of entitlement, but I think the price that's paid is a subtle loss of self-respect.

    I'm glad you like this new job. I suspect you'll gradually learn a lot of useful things about produce. People were never my strong suit either, but when I worked as a nurse, I used to put on what I called my "nursing personality." I had a job to do and by focusing on that, I could come out of myself and actually appear to be something of an extrovert. It wasn't nearly as stressful as social situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I wonder (probably worthy of a post) if we have replaced the idea of dignity of work with the idea of personal meaningfulness of work - that it is not enough to do a job, but rather I have to do a job that is meaningful to me personally, even self-actualizing. If I am not, the work has no value. It is made more difficult by the fact that in the modern economy, so much of our "work" does not have a tangible output. Project Management, for example, only indirectly produces a "product". It is hard to get excited about timelines and meeting minutes.

      The aspect of personas is a valuable one and one that I use as well, having spent many years doing it. How I am at my now-previous job and how I am actually are very different things. This is just a different application of the same principle - once upon a time I worked in retail and know both how to respond and what is expected of me.

      I am looking forward to new knowledge - for example, this week I learned that the apple named Pink Lady is just as firm as Granny Smith or Pippin and equally delicious. Who knew a non-green apple could be this way?

      Delete
  2. Shoes will become very important to you.

    Everybody's feet are different. A brand or model that one person says is great might cripple you. A new pair of shoes at mid-day can be a real pick-me-up. Compressions socks and undies can help with swelling legs and chafing.

    Dude, you are a rock-star!

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has already been an issue I have noticed ERJ. The shoes I currently have (of note, fairly new) did not do as well as I had anticipated. I have a bit of time before my next go-round so I will try to find a model that I have more familiarity with and see how those do. I have not needed compression socks (yet), but that may now also be a thing.

      Thanks for the support, although I cannot tell you how much of not-a-rock-star I often feel. You and Leigh are my models of effort and I am still woefully behind.

      Delete
  3. Leigh and Joe beat me to my main points :-)

    I've a friend that feeds his chickens and a pig with Whole Foods toss outs. Obviously, the applied company standards need to be obeyed, but unless they think your stealing or making the store look bad most seems ok with pre-dumpster salvage.

    You might not have critters but a moment of looking around you might be surprised who does in your circle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I am so fortunate in my commenters. They really are top-notch.

      The culls are not something that we have discussed a lot (yet), and something I need to look into more. Part of it is due to the fact that training with individuals and training with the manager are always different. I need to more fully understand the actual process to understand where the bend might be.

      Delete
  4. Nylon126:57 AM

    Dignity of work jumped out at me and ...yup... Leigh covered that. Foot care was next and...yup.. ERJ nailed that. Making use of cull-outs was next and...yup... Michael got that. This job will get you to fine tune your person-to-person interactions, meeting and dealing with the public five days a week certainly did for me. Something to be said for change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best commenters on the InterWeb Nylon12. I am a blessed man.

      I have to remind myself there is great value in learning to master person to person interactions, and that it is a skill as valuable as any other, not matter my level of introversion.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous8:07 AM

    Lots of rabbit food, plus ERJ wants to raise rabbits as extras. Woody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potentially yes Woody, although not all produce is created equal for rabbits. For example, spinach can be deadly in even relatively small doses due to oxalic acid and many kinds of lettuce offer not a great deal of nutritional benefit. I am still learning which "items" tend to go faster than others.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous3:52 PM

    My Dad was was raised by a 'hole in the wall' grocer during the Great Depression. My Grandfather was the owner of the store and the oldest of his children were the staff. Some of the customers had their groceries delivered by bicycle so the delivery person had to become adept at picking out good produce. Any bad choices made were returned, meaning the item had to be replaced and a new item brought back. Time is money.

    I wish I had paid more attention about how he selected our produce for his family. I wish I had asked questions, but I was a child more interested in my own affairs. Mom often remarked on how well he chose the fresher vegetables for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - that is a fascinating actual story from the Depression. There are so many questions that I wish I had asked my grandparents as well about similar things, but I was also much more interested is my own affairs.

      One thing I have learned if helpful: The waxier an apple is, the less fresh it is.

      Delete
  7. What Anonymous here said about his dad picking produce, made me think about my granny and the canning and such that she did. I wish I had paid more attention, but I was young and dumb.

    Middle son works part time at a chain grocery. Pays okay and has a few benefits, including a fuel discount at certain gas stations.
    And as you say, the discount for food is welcome.

    So glad you are enjoyng it, TB. A job you like is more important than one that pays well but you hate.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I think many of us were young and dumb at the time. Would that we had asked better questions.

      I am glad I am enjoying it as well - and as you say, the food discount is more than welcome.

      Delete
  8. My local grocery store has an older gentleman manning the canned goods aisle which I sometimes go through, though usually not for anything canned. He is always friendly and asks about my day which always improves any mood I'm in. The meat counter guy will actually chit chat for a minute if nobody else is there and that too always improves my mood. Although they recently put in half a dozen self checkout stations, I still go through the manned checkout line to chit chat with that lady as she rings up my bill. All are very simple things but make me enjoy shopping at their store over other options in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I will say the chain I am with emphasizes the customer contact aspect as well. In my training session, my trainer had a number of regular customers that apparently knew him and stopped to chat.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous9:01 AM

    Pretty soon you'll have some 'groupies', TB! They'll seek you out just to say 'hi' or friendly banter. You won't be shy for long.

    As for the 'outs' we have them on stuff, too, and no one knows why either. Except for plastic totes and bins... apparently we sell a lot. At least that is the reason they keep telling me ;-)

    Have fun!
    ~hobo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably Hobo. It has happened everywhere else I have been.

      Grape update: Grapes in stock, but the UPC code will not ring out appropriately.

      Delete
  10. Your comments regarding keeping the part-time post going forward as a counter to the demands of your previous full time jobs chimes with my experience of having a part-time job with a local garden centre as a counterpoint to a demanding full-time role in IT support. It was a much more hands on job with time for contemplation whilst tending the plant stocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will, it comforts me that this has been your experience as well. It is not just for the money (although that will be welcome); I need an outlet for work where I have no responsibilities beyond my immediate tasks and can just be on the level of simply working with my hands.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!