Saturday, May 06, 2023

A Sort Of Hammerfalll and Looking Back

 Longer time readers of this blog may recall that in 2020 I went through what I called "A Sort of Hammerfall", the result of which was a change in my career path from my then-role in Quality Assurance to my current (and now perhaps, passing) role in Project Management.  The core of that change was the review from that year, in which it was noted I had "troubling flaws".

That was the single worst review I have ever received in my life for any job. And it has haunted me to this day.

A large part of the haunting - and frankly, my reluctance to reconsider Quality positions - is the fact that at some point I would have to explain the complete change in careers and why (likely) I would be seeking a lesser position.  Or more pithily put, why I essentially got dismissed from a senior management position.

This all suddenly has relevance as the initial screen I had this past week has turned into a hiring manager and panel interview next week. I have done my research and the individuals I will be speaking with appear to be educated and intelligent people (and thanks again for the continued prayers and well wishes.  If I could continue to ask for them, I would be ever so grateful.).  So I presume some form of the question will come up.

The reality is that I have never really dealt with that review.

If you recall, my response at the time was to simply agree with my then boss, as much due to my dislike of confrontation as well as the knowledge that arguing a fait accompli is 93% of the time a complete waste of effort in that the decision is usually already made and the chances of changing it are zero.  One thing that did ensure, however, is that I never had to actually respond to the observations.

Last Sunday during my visit to a different church, the point of the sermon was that as Christ did not look back after the resurrection, so we too are not to look back.  Admittedly the Resurrection of the Son of God and my review from three years ago are on slightly different planes of importance, but the point remains the same: as any number of memes with heroic pictures will tell you, do not look back as you are not headed that way.

Over two years after that review, I created a document with just the observations - my failings - written down. This was the first time I could bring myself to even look at the document, as it is not just looking at the document: it is recalling all the feelings surrounding it and going into the meeting assuming I was to be fired and then reading that, at least in the eyes of the reviewer, I had completely failed in my job.  But I kept it instead of just dumping it - for all of everything it represented and it how it made me feel, there are parts that are true that I needed to address.

This week I finally responded to the observations.

The observations were not long or particularly well thought out. In some cases they were literally "This was not true".  In others, they were "notifications were sent" or "resources were not made available as noted".  In some, they were "agreed, and this is how my current role has addressed that".

It was not great writing, and certainly not the quality of material I try to purvey here.  Even in this exercise, it is still hard to read those words.  But at least I got something down on paper.

And, almost instantly, felt better.

This exercise does not fix a lot of things.  It does not change the events or the last three years.  I will still have to answer questions, walking an honest line between what happened and my interpretation of what happened.  And if even I disagree with a lot of what was written, I need - for my own intellectual honesty if nothing else - to be able to check each and every one of those off the "flaws I need to correct" list.

But confronting something, even after all these years, is a great place to start moving forward.





13 comments:

  1. Nylon126:04 AM

    Self-examination can be a bit uncomfortable, sounds like that process has started TB. Prayers are still aimed your way from the Northland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nylon12. It is challenging to read that review, as it was so atypical from everything that I had received over most of my career (or have received since then). Trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.

      Delete
  2. "A life unexamined is not worth living." said Socrates. Socrates was teaching the need to live a life where all things are parsed for their meaning. A life lived on autopilot, following the great mass of humanity, takes most of life for granted. It is a life lived without reflection, without much meditation, and consequently, without much understanding. Life is reduced to a set of tasks to be completed. As reflection and contemplation wither, inevitably wonder, awe and worship suffer as well. Examining life for its meaning sets us apart from animals, who also eat, sleep, mate, get food, build shelter. Animals do not look at the sky and simply ask, “Why?”, nor do they contemplate beauty.

    Since Christians believe we live in an ordered universe that was designed and created by an Intelligent Being, it only follows that we should examine all of life for meaning.

    It was painful when I had to reflect upon a bad review in my career. I understand how much we center our lives upon our "Job".

    Prayers ongoing friend. Don't look backwards once you've done self-reflection but move forward in resolve to do better. We can all do better if we are honest with ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. I often tend to fixate on things to the point of them becoming crippling.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:13 AM

    Praying for you. And a short story from a previous job.

    I got called on the carpet by my station manager. He began to accuse me of wasting money. I asked him to go line by line.
    I had an answer for every item. He never bothered to request information as the expenses occurred, he just saved them all up and blasted me with them. Very hostile meeting. I offered to give him my company card and if I had an expense he could purchase it if he deemed it necessary. Agreed. I also showed him that I was 50% under budget for the year. Didn't matter.

    He demanded that I be in the office from 0830 to 1700 every day. I was on call 24/7/365 as there were no other technical personnel. EVERY time after that day that I was working overnight, I called him at his home to let him know that I was at work, what I was doing and I would be at the office as soon as I was done. He got a quite sick of the calls at all hours of the night. I think they call that malicious compliance now.

    Within six weeks the company folded up. What I took as a personal attack was really mounting pressure from his management to keep the boat afloat. They very helpfully kept that under wraps and worked the issue by randomly attacking staff with accusations for fraud waste and abuse.

    I keep that in mind, even now nearly thirty years later. There are always other things behind the scenes that make waves in my bathtub.
    Some are me, and some aren't. I can only do what I can do.

    I can't help but wonder if they were already having issues and moving personnel around was an attempt to forestall the inevitable blood letting. I think this is the suddenly part of the slowly (2020), then suddenly (2023).

    Go forth in faith and conquer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for the prayers - and the story.

      There were additional events that followed on after - up to a year later - that corroborate your experience that things were going in the background which I did not know about (and it was never explained to me), but impacted my position. To be completely honest, even that discussion - as unfair as it might have seemed - would have been preferable to the "black box" approach that was taken.

      Delete
    2. Whoever you are, Anonymous, you're a man/woman after my heart. I absolutely love the story of calling your manager at home. Perfect. I worked in a help desk position one time, and there were some changes made, one of which was the immediate job elimination of a guy who worked for me. Because I could no longer handle the call volume, I referred the overflow to my manager and gave out his phone number in my voice mail message. Imagine how that went over. I was already leaving, so they could hardly fire me, and they needed me to stay as long as I could. While I admit some spitefulness in what I did, it was also for the purpose of showing them what a stupid decision they had made and force them to come up with a workable solution. So yes, I did them a favor. I also loved it.

      Continuing to lift you up in prayer, TB. You are so right about looking back. One of the few beneficial parts of doing so is recalling God's kindness and faithfulness.

      Delete
    3. Bob, although the home phone number has a bit if spitefulness to it, I have to confess I done the same from time to time with managers that have demanded that they effectively be consulted 100% of the time: I have forwarded every e-mail and every decision to them. At some point, they choose to bow out.

      Appreciate the prayers Bob. I have had a great opportunity to think on things this weekend, which has been a useful process.

      Delete
  4. "Trying to separate the wheat from the chaff." A useful thing to do, TB. Always. Praying for you as you go forward in your interview process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki - One thing that constantly is in my mind is I do not leave enough time for thinking and pondering on such things, which is the only way such progress is made.

      The prayers are very much appreciated.

      Delete
  5. First, another prayer inbound.

    Second, a criticism is either valid, and a gift, or invalid, and should be ignored. Face truth and improve (or not, my choice), ignore weakminded idiots. What do I care what a tool (I was going to use a seven-letter word) thinks?

    Have the courage to decide which is which.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. And in this particular case, I have tried to pull out what was relevant from what was (in my opinion) a lack of truth.

      I had a lot of trouble because initially I saw this person as someone who should know and was far ahead of me in education. That has been a second struggle to overcome.

      Delete
  6. A little introspection is a good thing before an interview. I guess I struggled with those sorts of questions too. It was hard not being negative while yet being honest. Fortunately for me, mine usually happened during industry popped bubbles so I could just mention the bubble as the reason for the reduced workforce and then steer the subject on one of my skillsets that I'm bringing to the interview table.

    Although I've never hired people professionally, those that I know who have say they aren't asking those questions to know the answer. They are asking those questions to see how you respond to a tough question. Those who can answer honestly (maybe leaving out parts) and steer the conversation are desirable in many companies.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!