Tuesday, May 09, 2023

Hammerfall 2.0: Interviews

 As you are reading this, I am either preparing, participating in, or dissecting the first of two job interviews this week.

The thought of interviewing itself is a bit daunting, not from the fact I have not done it before (I have), but the fact that I have not done in some seven years.  I suspect it is similar to dating after a long relationship breakup or the death of a spouse:  Like riding a bicycle, it is a skill that is buried somewhere deep within the subconscious.  Unlike riding a bicycle, the mores and unspoken rules have likely changed and you need to somehow understand what those changes are without appearing awkward or unknowledgeable. 

I have done my research (this is one of the things Linked Out can be good for) and know all of their backgrounds and job experiences.  My very rudimentary read is that they are all quite smart - and all much younger than I am with not nearly as much industry experience.  That matters, both for what their questions will be and what their expectations of the position will be. 

I am also fortunate in my research that I know something of what would have been my predecessor in the role and the situation that lead to them seeking a new Quality person. And, I know (thanks to the HR interview) what the plans for the company are over the next 1.5 years and some of their key expectations.

This is more information than I have had about upcoming interviews in years.

I am trying to prepare for this one far differently than I have in the past.  Partially, of course, it is because (simply) I need a job.  Partially it is because I am trying a different technique.  And partially, it is because I am trying to think about what happens after this.

The actual preparation is easy enough: Make a list of questions that are likely to be asked.  Walk through the answers.  Review the regulations (and stay awake; 21 CFR is never invigorating reading).  Have a "plan" for how I would address the 30/60/90/120/180/270/360 day milestones.  How I "measure" success.  How I would actually address some of their expectations (in a way that manages those expectations while stating what will and will not work).

I have done some of this.  I need to do more.  

The third item, though, is the one that I need to plan more for.

In point of fact, this job will not last forever either - and I hope it does not frankly; I would like to be on to other things at some point.  But I need to find a way to do this job and use this job to launch us into the next phase of life.  That involves planning as well - not only financial planning but planning of time and activities (drawing work boundaries is also part of this).  

Assume success, plan for failure - and always, always, do your best.  Ultimately that is all I can do.

(As a side note, there have been no other interviews put in place for any other position.  One or two initial phone screens, and a fair amount of e-mails saying "Thanks for applying, but...".  Of the 35 positions I have applied to thus far, I have a 45% definitive rejection rate (e.g., told no or the position reposted) and a conversion rate of 2.86% (the part time grocery store job). Also, it appears relocation packages are a thing of the past. At best, hiring bonuses may be offered as substitute.  Based on that, I have confined my search to local and remote positions only.)


12 comments:

  1. Nylon125:24 AM

    Good luck TB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you sbrgirl! I need every one of those wishes.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:27 AM

    Good Luck TB…
    Franknbean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back in the early days of my interviewing career, the internet was not a connected presence like it is today which made researching companies with upcoming interviews particularly difficult. I imagine that today, finding relevant information is much easier.

    One advantage back then was that there was a local bar that gave out a free drink to anyone coming in with a rejection letter. It eased many a wound of some of my friends. As I mentioned before, I was disappointed in that I rarely got a rejection letter to cash in.

    Good luck on your interviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - The amount of background work one can do is amazing. For example, for today's interview I knew all of the interviewer's titles, educational history, and previous employment. It certainly made crafting answers to their questions a more straightforward process.

      Sadly, no bar here. Perhaps a cookie to celebrate.

      Delete
  5. Praying for you. That this will meet both parties needs.

    That line about dating is prophetic for me. I only ever dated one girl and married her.... 40 plus years ago. I was unskilled then. I shudder to think about trying to enter the current smash mouth, full contact, blood letting that it has become now. Even the old timers are acting like zipper headed teenangsters... I may just order a pinup... Is Betty Grable still available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks STxAR. The first one seems to have gone well.

      I literally have no idea how I would handle dating in the current world. My assumption is badly.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous10:11 AM

    As always, prayers and wishes for you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!