Monday, September 30, 2019

When Do You Hang It Up?

I am a person who never really knows when it is time to hang up on a job.

I will be honest:  work is becoming more and more of a consuming thing.  I have gone from a 40-42 hour week to a 45 hour week to a 50 hour week to a 60 hour or more week.  At one time I used to take lunch to go work out; I am now eating my lunch in meetings two hours late because that is the time that is available.

That said, that is just busy.  When is it time to hang it up and start something else?

I am not very good at making that decision.

I had never thought to reach the level that I have - but that presents its own problems.  It is likely that I will never exceed above this - and for someone that potentially has a working life of 10-15 years, that presents a bit of a problem in and of itself.  It is hard to go back once you have been at a certain level - people always ask you "Why?" and although you can have good answers, for many it is always a thought in the back of their head.

But do simple math.  My hourly rate has been cut in a third last week because of hours; do that long enough and one's life begins to look a lot like "Work" and very little else.  I had to miss iai - twice - this week due to a deadline.  Which is distressing because it is still the one thing that I cling to when everything else seems to be falling away.

I would say that the decision point is when something becomes "irredeemable" - but what does that look like?  Not having cash in the bank is one thing, but we have plenty. Not having a viable product is one thing, but we have several.  

It has been a long time since a job has come to dominate my life like this.  And it is making me think - but no answers.

The only thing I think I can safely say that if this is the new normal, this is not the future I want for myself.  So something will have to be done.

10 comments:

  1. Yep. If you are riding out a tough stretch that's one thing. But if they want you to work 60 hours and pay you for 40 - I'd walk. Too often that is what most "promotions" amount to these days.

    I always try and take the high road on these things TB. I'd have a chat with the boss, tell him what I'm up against and what I need - and if he tried to bully me or stick handle me I'd turn in my resignation and take my lumps with a new job search. You will find something and it may take some time. It is what it is, but at the end of the day you were honest with your boss, your Maker and yourself.

    And just a friendly warning too - I have seen guys our age, in good shape like you - crap out at work. And I know darned well that maybe it wasn't the job that killed them... but it couldn't have helped. We are at that age when we need to be mindful of such things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can survive without this job while you explore your other avenues; I say give them notice and quit.

    This will start to affect your health. That makes this job not worth it.

    You may find options appear that you didn't even expect.
    May God guide you in this next step of your journey.
    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whether you decide to quit a job is a personal thing, as only you know what you need. I'm in the same boat. I work at a job I have no interest in, other than the fact that it keeps my belly full and the lights on. I can tell you this though... at 58, time has become more valuable than money...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a difficult place to be in. It looks like there's only one choice, really. I pray for grace for you as you struggle with this. My experience is that the hardest part is the deliberations before the decision is made. Once made, it's like a huge burden is lifted. This job doesn't seem worth the price of your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..Worked at the same place for 36 years (applied research), and finally retired at 66...same job (more or less) but different things to do and great people to work with...used to be at work at six and leave at five for the last ten years (also came in often on weekends)...not because I had to, but I wanted to, and enjoyed it...Work is not work if you enjoy it...If you do not, it is time to move on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sound advice Glen. I am fortunate in that he is very approachable; the unfortunate reality of the situation is the workload keeps ratcheting up faster than I can manage it.

    The health thing - yes, it has me worried. Just today turned into another 1 hour day plus another 30 minutes after that answering e-mails. This is not really the life I want, especially if I do the math (maybe 30 years)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, that is a thought - and something I am thinking about seriously right now, asking the question "how little would we need to survive on"?

    The fact that I am rapidly losing time with my family on this is alarming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the reality, is it not Pete? At our age we like full bellies and lights on, but at what cost?

    Honestly, I would just like I job I can go in, do my hours, and then leave behind me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Leigh. Amongst my reading this morning for my year through the Bible was the latter part of Ephesians 3: "Now to Him who is able to exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen." (vv. 20-21)

    Exceedingly Abundantly. Do I believe that? (Not in the selfish get rich Gospel way, of course)

    I think, if I am honest, there really is only one choice. I just need to be honest about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous, the funny thing is that a year ago, my answer would have been different. I loved what I did and who I did it with. I still love who I do it with, but not so much what I do anymore.

    There is something magically about enjoying the work you do. I have only had it occasionally.

    Congratulations on retiring and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!