Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Going Grey: On Spending

One of the greatest challenges on going gray in the modern era is spending.

Essentially, we now live in an era where most of our spending - most of mine, anyway - is done via electronic cash, be it credit cards, bank cards, or electronic pay schemes such as Pay Buddy.  And if you track this spending, you have a pretty good idea of who you are and what you buy.

Think about it:  If you at all spend money on Amazonian and you check your purchase history, you will find a rather fascinating history on what you have purchased over the last years.  I say fascinating:  my history, for anyone that bothers to look, will confuse the heck out of them. But to be fair, even I have some books amongst my purchases that probably, on some list, qualify as "subversive"  (yay me).

On the one hand, there is not a great deal I can do about this - or maybe there is, but I am hardly qualified to comment on it in a meaningful way.  On the other hand, there are a few meaningful things that I can do.

1)  Pay cash:  I cannot emphasize that enough.  When I purchase certain things - ammunition, for example - I always pay cash.  When I am at the used book store, I always pay cash.  It is the only guarantee that I have that my purchases are not being tracked.

2)  Shop using unorthodox means:  By unorthodox I mean things like local online groups, thrift stores, bazaars, anything where you do not fit into a database.

3)  Barter:  I am not very good at this yet, but I recognize it as being a powerful tool.  If I exchange something with you, there are no records nor cash.  There are only things.

I think this is a difficult area to address, given our current society.  Suggestions?

10 comments:

  1. I agree. To not be tracked, that is all I can think of.

    We love flea markets as you know; and occasionally we see guns, rifles and most often ammo. That's the way it should be if someone wants to sell something.

    Sad that in America, we have to worry about such things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:03 AM

    What shocks me is the number of people who look down on shopping at a thrift store. You've got to be kidding...that's where almost all of my clothes and all of my books come from.

    You can't beat the prices, and yes, I do pay cash.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. Although I've about decided that "subversive" is a matter of point of view. LOL. I ready something a couple weeks ago about shopping by phone using a debit or credit card. Apparently, toll free number companies collect all the data and put it into a larger database. I'm guessing they can record anything inputted on the number pad. I wish I could remember where I read that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, it has been a long time since I have been to a flea market. I might to consider going to one again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane, it is mostly said by people who value other things above value.

    More and more, except for specialty items for my hobbies, I look for as cheap as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leigh, subversive certainly has become a matter of flowing definition, especially as it regards to anything involving the powers that be (and want to control your life).

    Yes, I assume that anything that I do electronically is recorded. That is why I am working on avoiding such things where I can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flea markets are great. Like so many things you get good buys and have to be careful of what you buy as well. But a lot of them have small farms selling produce also, so you never know what you will find there.

    And of course, if you have a farmers market near you, you will pay a bit more than the store; but you are most likely getting the freshest produce for the season.
    You have to be careful there, too, though. One of the flea markets we frequent regularly, one of the people selling produce was actually buying it from a store for resale. The only reason I knew that is because they missed a label on one of the melons they were selling!
    But most often the sellers are honest small farmers. You can taste the difference!

    I hope you make time to go to a flea market again. Make sure you do a little research though. For instance, the Shipshewana flea market is only open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, whereas most flea markets are open on Saturdays and Sundays. The Canton Texas flea market starts on Thursdays. You never know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Linda! All very helpful.

    The Ravishing Mrs. TB is looking for something else to do on weekends - maybe we can pick this up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been chewing on this post for a couple days now. It's a good one.

    Do you reload, TB? I have stockpiled primers, powder, and have even started casting my own lead bullets for the guns that can shoot them well. The ability to remanufacture ammo might be a valuable ability in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Glen! If you are thinking, then I have done my "job" (so much as thi is such a thing and not a calling).

    I do not reload. It has been put onto the list of things I want to get into but never seem to have the time for. But yes, that will be an amazing skill to have.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!