Monday, September 02, 2019

Withdrawing

I had one of reminder moments this weekend, the sort of thing that makes you stop and take a hard look at what is going on in your life.

It was simple enough:  a comment in a personal message across the InterWeb.  But a comment that sticks in your mind afterwards, not because of whom it was made to or what it was about, but the fact that it is now out there.  And, given the current climate, anything you say has the potential to come back to haunt you.

In other words, being on-line in as yourself puts everything that you have at risk.

And (somehow), I have a fair amount which could be at risk right now.  Life is good -really, really good.  For the first time in a very long one, we are almost in a financially sound position of no debt except a mortgage.  We have a home - not a glamorous one to be sure, but one that keeps our stuff safe and sound.  We can travel.  We are supporting two children in college.  I get to have hobbies.

But I would be lying if I did not say that this is all built on a sheet of glass that could shatter at anytime.

At one time - back when I had great aspirations - I told any number of people that I had a blog.  That number has dwindled considerably now- I have not mentioned it at all in the last 3 years and (I suspect) most of the people that I had told it to have now forgotten such at thing ever existed.  Which, frankly, is fine with me at this point of the game. 

The other thing that this has really pointed out to me is that it is finally time to transition away from The Book Of Face.

The same reasoning, of course - the risk is too great. Or maybe I do not trust myself the way I used to.  Or, perhaps, I need to start holding my cards closer to my vest, revealing less of who I am to the whole world, not more.

But this weekend was indeed jarring.  And I have too much to risk to be more concerned about being "known" than falling off the map.


6 comments:

  1. Boom. Second one this week.

    It's a good call, TB, and long overdue. I think I read or heard somewhere that the Tech Oligarchs are working toward putting together a 'Social Credit' scheme similar to the one in China.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fakebook is a trap that people enter into willingly. The odd thing is how hard it is for most people to exit willingly. We existed without Fakebook before. Indeed, we should again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the scare, TB. But I definitely understand.
    I don't share do much as I used to, either.

    Got to protect yourself. Especially in this crazy world.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Glen. Either I am on the mark or thinking more or just unlucky (maybe all three).

    So funny story - there is sort of a social credit system out there now. Look up mylife.com. Mine is terrible riddled with old information, but it is an attempt to start something.

    I am going to continue to slowly disengage, Glen - again, not immediately dropping off, just becoming less and less of a presence. And then, I will drop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pete, it is shocking how fundamentally it has changed society. Not always for the better, either.

    Funny thing - if a social credit scheme comes to be, things like The Book of Face will disappear - after all, why would anyone risk it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is all good Linda - turned out to not be quite as bad as I had thought, but a good wake up call, none the less.

    I need to put more of focus in other places, including this blog.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!