Thursday, September 26, 2019

The Collapse XXXIII: Rushing Towards Winter


12 September 20XX

My Dear Lucilius:

A bit more of a delay between communications. My apologies: our power has been a bit more irregular and there has been a great deal to do in a short period of time.

Our weather here has taken a definitive turn for the cooler here – we got down to 39 F at least once. So I have been busy. The quail have been moved into the greenhouse for their Winter Quarters, although I have not sealed up the greenhouse completely yet – still a little too warm yet during the day – and I have started to lay out the planters for Autumn (although I have not figured out the water just yet). I have taken the liberty of inserting the hive entrance reducers into the hive entrances, not completely blocking it to a single hole but reducing the entrance.

I am sowing the overwinter crops now – winter wheat, winter rye, winter barley, garlic, leeks, greens. I have always done this by hand, so it is not an unusual task with hoe, shovel, rake, and caster – although it has seemed that I have paid a bit more attention to it than usual this year. I will be honest that I believe it is one of my favorite days of the year – and indeed, it consumes an entire day by the time I am completed.

I am still pulling items from the garden as I am able. At this point I have surrendered the concept of dehydration (as we are effectively bereft of reliable power) and am just eating as much of the fresh produce as I can and feeding the rest to the quail. Somewhere in my notes I have something about using a wood stove as a dehydrator – I am not quite to the point of being able to burn it regularly, but should be there soon (indeed, I have been using a small camping stove outside to boil my water for coffee and oatmeal to put off heating up the house too much.

With winter coming, I have become quite a scrounger of anything burnable (my stove, you remember, will accept smaller branches). I have constructed for myself a pack reminiscent of an old Japanese wood collector: two pegs sticking out at the bottom of a board with rope to put my arms through and another set of ropes to tie off the bundle. On any walk I take now – and I take more and more because soon enough the snow will make it miserable to make any at all – I have my contraption with me, diligent searching for fallen branches or even small downed trees that I can come back later and cut up. Fortunately I live at the north end of “town”; there are very few houses that way and I am often the only person I see all day.

Protein remains my weak point. The loss of the freezer means that I have limited ability to store fish for the long term (my primary form of protein) – unless, of course, I had a smokehouse, one of those 550 items that I intended to build someday but never got to. It will have to move to the top of the list.

For now, I have had to be inventive. Salting fish has become the new smoking this year (fortunately, I had enough of that to last a while). And I have been trying to trade more for meat, although as turns out I probably counted more on the ability to trade honey that I have been actually able to do this year. I may need to try killing a deer myself before the Autumn has fled. I have not done this in a while, so it may come down to as much as luck as anything else.

I have made my annual pass of the cabin and shed, looking for any holes that need caulking or filling. I have also started to look at repair of the outhouse for the upcoming winter. I am already shuddering at the thought of trekking through the January winds.

Excluding protein (and I am working to close that gap as quickly as possible), I believe myself to be as ready as I can be, given the circumstances.

The thought of winter has already become concerning, and it has hardly started yet. I worry for us all.

Your Obedient Servant, Seneca

2 comments:

  1. A good reminder that sometimes the things we count on don't work out. Backups and a good attitude are important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh, a good attitude has probably gotten me through more situations than I care to admit.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!