Tuesday, September 18, 2018

A Faith Filled Dream (Or Lack Thereof)

At our Men's retreat this past weekend, the speaker emphasize a number of point which he felt a Christian man needed to have in his life - timeless truths, as he called them (Interestingly, he compared timeless truths to old school: the first is something that offers value to every generation, the second something that means something different between generations).  The very first one he mentioned was "Have a Faith-generated dream in your heart" - which of course, generates the after presentation question "What faith-generated dream has God given you?"

When the question eventually made it around to me, I was forced to answer "I have no idea". 

I really do not.  I had an idea once upon a time, when we lived in Old Home and the future (except my job, of course) seemed set. I had a very clear idea of what my Faith-generated dream was and how I would execute it, where I would be and what I would be doing.  But all of that blew away as soon as it became apparent that we were moving.

And there has been nothing to replace it.

Mind you, I have asked.  I have looked.  But all that seems to present itself are faith-generated dreams of others, not my own.  And yes, helping the dream of others is important - but if one never has that faith-generated dreams of one's own, it becomes difficult to find motivation after a time.

Have I truly asked for a new one?  Or am I stewing in the remnants of the old ones, trying desperately to patch together something which may have been true at one time but is not for now.

More the latter, I suspect - but sadly, I do not seem to have any idea what would replace it - or even be a situation where I think that I can find that replacement.


2 comments:

  1. We read the Bible and see a smooth flow of history, and man's yearning for God. The reality was that these guys and gals were in either spiritual or actual deserts for much of their time on Earth. The important thing was that they never lost their desire to find and please God. The more important thing was that God never lost sight of His own, and never failed to make good on His promises.

    Sometimes you just have to wait on God, TB. With God, timing is everything. He won't let you make your next move too soon or too late. Let Him drive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete - What a great point! I take for granted the hundred of years when God said nothing to Israel or the long years when the Word of Lord never came.

    Patience - the bane of my existence. Thanks for reminding me to be that patient.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!