Thursday, September 13, 2018

Iceland Day 3: Holsvoller, Seljalandfoss,Gjlufrafoss, Skogafoss

Day Three started in Holsvoller, which has a Saga Center dedicated to Njal's Saga, the most famous of the Icelandic Sagas:


Also in Holsvoller was this nice small church and graveyard:




A very determined tree.  One wonders how the Resurrection of the Dead will work on in this case:


 Seljalandfoss - A very large (and famous) waterfall.  You can walk behind it (I did not - I am a little too unfond of cold and wet):








Nearby is Gjulfrafoss.  Notice the large boulder perched at the top:




 These small structures were used in the 1940's and 1950's for milk pickups from small farms and as bus stops for small children:


Just above the clouds is Eyefallajokull glacier.  You may remember it from the 2010 eruption:


Local inhabitants.  Sadly, my Icelandic Bovine accent was all wrong:


Skogafoss.  You will remember we went there the day before - we had rain in the meantime!




This time we climbed the path to the top of the cliff:







This path, if followed, allows a 26 km hike through two glaciers.  Someday, maybe:


Driving Back.  So many sheep everywhere:


6 comments:

  1. Vikings and Norsemen? You must be able to get a book out of this visit.
    Certainly many pictures would make wonderful puzzles that you could sell or give away. :)

    Sorry for the late catch-up; but thanks for sharing. :)

    I hope you are not on the East coast. I don't know if you have said or not.

    God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got caught up on all your wonderful photos. I think it's the kind of place where I could live, especially if I could keep sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, it was a very different cultural setting than where I spend most of my mind (Japan), but very enjoyable - and I have wondered about a book of sorts at some point.

    Thank you for the pictures comment. And yes, are far away from the East Coast - almost dead center in the Southern part of the US.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Leigh! I regret not actually talking to more native Icelanders, because I think it might be the sort of place I could live too. The sheep were everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah. Okay. I am in Central Louisiana. That must be why I am most always agreeing with you about weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed Linda - I am thinking we are about 8 hours from where you are, so similar indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!