Wednesday, June 20, 2018

A New Windshield

For my birthday/anniversary/Father's Day, I got a new windshield.

My windshield has been cracked for going on 4 years now.  Originally it started out as a rock chip, one of those bits and pieces flying off a truck proudly marked with "We take no responsibility for broken windshields from flying debris".  Over time and temperature it expanded until I had a lightning strike stretching across the bulk of my windscreen.

I just lived with the issue - after all, it did not impact my ability to see through the windshield at all and to repair it would cost money.  There was also that nagging voice that told me that if I got it repair, surely it would be immediately re-chipped and eventually re-broken.  So I just continued to drive along.

Life with a broken windshield is not as bad as one might thing.  Yes, it is a little bit embarrassing (if such things bother you) and it does make your car look like it should not be parked by (on the other hand, who wants to steal it).  You reach the point that it simply becomes part of your daily existence.

And then, one day, it was suddenly gone.

Rather odd how everything looks without a crack running through it.

5 comments:

  1. In the UK you would not been allowed to drive with a crack going across your windscreen, they have places set up in most supermarket car parks that repair chips to windscreens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. We currently have 3 rock chips on our truck windshield. Oddly enough, the worst came from a car when we were driving on the highway.
    Enjoy it while you can. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, it is always a roll of the dice. I have had plenty of chips that never did anything more than be a chip. I assume what I did is probably ill-advised in most countries. I always hate spending the money - but in retrospect it would have been a better idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which is why I hate repairing them Linda. I know another one is coming.

    That I recall, this was not near an issue where we used to live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, all of ours happen when we travel.

    Dawn, there are a lot of cars in the U.S. which are allowed to drive that way. Sometimes actually worse. Not wise, but each state makes their own rules.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!