Thursday, May 26, 2011

Garden Reflections

"They say time changes things, but you have to change them yourself." - Andy Warhol

Sitting at my computer, looking out at the backyard and garden this morning, listening to the morning birds chant.

Having completed watering my garden, I am reminded of the fact that this simple act - watering, growing, harvesting, and eventually eating - brings a deep level of satisfaction that few other things do in my life. It also brings pleasant and simple surprises: looking this morning, I noticed that my tomato plant continues to grow strongly and has blossoms. My onions seeds are not doing so well but behold: a volunteer of something has emerged. Is it a squash? A cantaloupe? A cucumber? I don't know, but time will tell.

My soybeans are growing well - in both locations. Do I replant in both locations next year? And my wheat is ready to pull down for drying and harvest as well. What am I going to plant there this year - dare I risk the corn that did not do so well last year, or is there something else I should be trying?

It's these small adventures in garden that seem to give color and texture to the humdrum existence of my 8-7 life of "career". I can honestly say this brief time this morning in the garden will by far eclipse anything in importance or scope that I will perform or do at work today.

Planning, growing, nurturing, harvesting - these are the touchstones of my life that bring me joy, be they in the living form of plants or animals or in the form of creative works or even in the form of interactions with friends and family. It is a poignant reminder of the fact that there is a chasm of disconnect between what I do and who I am.

"I decided I didn't want to be a consultant for the rest of my life. And if I didn't want to be a consultant for the rest of my life, why should I be a consultant tomorrow?" - Jim Koch, founder and chairman of The Boston Beer Company

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!