Monday, November 06, 2023

Finding Time

 I am trying to find balance.

It is a thing I am sorry in need of at the moment.  Part of it, I have come to realize, is due to a lack of sleep - not so much volume (there is that) as it is sleeping through the night.  There is more often than not a dull zombified feeling as I go about my work day.  I certainly have not been the sharpest that I could be in the last 4 months or so.

But it seems beyond that as well.  As it turns out, I deal with change poorly (this, I knew).  What I did not know is that change would be forced upon me by default.  It has thus impacted my entire life.

I can try and schedule my hours out to the most minute degree, but the reality is  I do not work well that way.  I never have, really:  I am one of those people that does not do well rushed. I can do it - but like I have found in my workouts, it just becomes something I rush through to get it done, not to actually do it.

This rather large love of free range hours does not accord well with my current circumstances.

This seems to leave me with two options:  either accept that everything is going to be done poorly and rushed, or scale back things to my available time to do them.  And the first, it turns out, does not work.

Practically speaking, that means narrowing my focus on what I do.

The good news (if there is good news here) is that my schedule is pretty fixed at this point.  I know what days I have Iai class and what days I will most likely work at Produce (A)isle and when I am likely to leave my regular job. All of that reduces of the overall time, but it lets me know what I have available.  

The trick, it seems is adapting what I do to that.

What it has practically meant is stopping (hopefully temporarily?) a great many things. More things have become fewer things.  Fewer things have become things I can comfortably spend time on.

I am not thrilled by this development directly, although at some level I feel as if I have been smacked upside the head by God if for no other reason than my attentions have been scattered everywhere instead of in the places that matter (insert standard scattered light versus laser analogy here).  It has also meant giving myself the freedom to do some things less well or even not on the periodicity I would like and leave some time for, frankly, just having time.

Is this permanent?  I am not sure.  There is nothing that suggests the situation is going to correct itself in the near term.  And maybe that is okay:  perhaps I am at a time where that kind of focus really needs to happen for that core group of things I have identified.

After all, as the old saw goes, we cannot all do everything.

19 comments:

  1. Gee, I remember saying the same thing not too long ago. Even so, my time struggles are not as challenging as yours, for sure, but I can commiserate. I can say that accepting a less perfect standard for some of the things I do helps. There's initially a sense of defeat with that, but also an understanding that there's a reality in less-than-perfect. High standards are a good thing, but how often are they truly realistic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Leigh, you did!

      I think the less than perfect standard is a big help. And I have someone who has become a mentor who constantly keeps preaching that any progress is good progress. Which is where I have to get my mind now.

      Also, I simply need to stop rushing through everything to do everything. This was also part of the issue. If I do less but enjoy the things I do, that should be the goal.

      Delete
  2. Nylon124:45 AM

    What's most important? Lack of enough sleep =affects everything. Good luck TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, could not agree more. The sense of exhaustion and being not at my best mentally has become a constant drag on doing anything - and making everything slightly miserable. Time to think carefully about what I am doing.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6:59 AM

    I too could have written this. Be well ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:00 AM

      Not anonymous: Lady Locust

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lady Locust! Great minds think alike!

      Delete
  4. Filthie9:48 AM

    For me it was permanent. Having my little/big dawg on the bed at night doesn't help either. I have largely given up coffee and miss it intensely.

    Getting old and fussy is not a crime, TB. It takes some time, but I came to think my Maker was telling me to slow down. It was difficult changing gears but since I had no choice in the matter I just decided to roll with it as best I could. Your mileage will vary, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen! Good to hear from you!

      The sleep thing seems to be getting...less better. No matter how hard I seem to try.

      One thing I noticed - even today when I consciously tried not to rush - is how much better I felt about things. There seems to be a key there.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous2:16 PM

    Your body is telling you something. Listen, because I didn't and it changed my life for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on it. It is a good reminder and something I lecture others on all the time.

      Delete
  6. I would freely admit that I couldn't hold down the hours you do and remain sane. I need some free time with nothing schedules during every day and at least a day every now and then with nothing scheduled during the entire day to remain sane. If I don't get these things, I don't sleep wall and probably don't do what tasks I need to do as well either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - "Sanity" may be a bit of a stretch. But yes, I am finding that I miss that free time that used to just exist. And need to find ways to get it back in.

      Delete
  7. Have you ever suspected sleep apnea? I was diagnosed a couple of years ago (should have been 10 years earlier). I hate the CPAP, but it has made a huge difference in my daytime performance .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NM - I have thought about it, but have no really done anything about it. Something I should look into further.

      Delete
  8. Do I hear echos of "rat race" syndrome?
    Here's the good part, you'll figure it out.
    I'm really old and experienced, so you can trust me on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some TM, some. I am still some years from "having to work at this", so it is managing until then.

      Thanks for the vote of confidence. I will say that I took my time today and it was a better experience overall.

      Delete
  9. Curious, and you might have addressed this previously and I missed it, but how long do you think you will keep the grocery store job? If at some point that could be eliminated, would that help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I do not know that I have specifically addressed it.

      So the reality is that currently, we would be fine without the grocery store job, but if I want to do things like continue to go to train in Japan and hike, I will need to keep the job. Also, at the moment given the state of the world, having a job with income to fall back on - no matter how little it may seem - is something of a security blanket to me.

      (And, frankly, the discount on house brands is a nice bonus as well.)

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!