Tuesday, September 26, 2023

2023 Mt. Goddard: Rule Of Five

 Thanks for coming along on the 2023 Mt. Goddard Hike.  It is always a joy for me to do this, both because it makes me process things from the hike in a more and it allows me to relive the hike again (this time, from the comfort of my home).  It is also a joy to be able to share these places with you.  

(Note:  All the pictures in today's post are pictures of plants I took across varying days of the hike.)


As longer time readers might now, I try to build a "lessons learned" from these sorts of things, which I call The Rule Of Five, a handy idea I took from a sales and business consultant named Jeffrey Gitomer who borrowed it from an old NCR sales handbook. I like it because it is simple and short - and in theory, can be counted on the fingers of one hand


1) Guides are invaluable:  I have said this the Grand Canyon post-script  as well, but this trip both reminded me of it and made it more real.  Yes, guides are the ones that lead us to places, but the very best sort of guides - and a guide could be a mentor, parent, teacher, or even a friend - stay with us through the parts that are difficult, quietly encouraging us and urging us on.


2) We really can do more than we think we can do:  This, too, is apparently a note I made in 2021.  In this case, I was simply forced to go forward - even at 50 step intervals - because there was no other choice.  As it turns out, I was able to finish the hike.  It was just that I did some days much more slowly.


3) Keep going:  If you cannot do 70 steps, do 50.  Or even if 30 steps are all you can do, do that.  Going slowly is never the end; coming to the point of stopping to advance is.


4)  Make the most of the view you have:  In my mind as I was preparing myself for this hike, I tried to visualize myself at the summit of Mt. Goddard.  Visualization has a lot of research behind it in terms of success; what it does not account for is when things like the physical inability to do something manifest themselves.  In those cases, there is still a view to be seen - just perhaps not the one we were planning for.


5)  Just go:  Too often I do not try to do things for the silliest of reasons:  I do not feel ready, I do not know that I will have the money, I do not know that I am capable, it is a silly idea.  Certainly not everything can be done right away, but "right away" is not the same as "never".  If we continue to find reasons not to do things, eventually we will not try anything at all.


Again, thanks for coming along with me.

Next week, we will be returning to Greece and pick up where we left off - at the monasteries of Meteora.

12 comments:

  1. Nylon125:21 AM

    Enjoy your hikes and travels, photos help much with that TB. Glad you took this recent hike now than later in the year, nice to see green and colors rather than say..........snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoy them Nylon12 - and yes, I also find the photos really help with the descriptions.

      A second team left a week after we did, but after that they were done with that trail for the year. Even in September, the weather can become miserable.

      Delete
  2. Good things to think about, and thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I try to derive some value out the hikes beyond just the exercise and the scenery.

      Delete
  3. For me, the biggest lesson is a reminder of all the things I take for granted back home when I return from a long hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That as well, Ed. How much of modern life we simply take for granted because it is around us all the time.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous9:21 AM

    The messages in your rule of five sparked my inspiration. I’m months, since last December, wrestling with health problems combined with post-divorce stress. I know I cannot let the ‘black dog’ of depression into my life but I’ve seen him at my door a couple of times. The message to keep on going if just a little at a time struck the right chord this morning.
    Much to look forward to even today because it’s Tuesday which means my Martin 6string and I will be enjoying bluegrass jam tonight at a local brewery with great friends.
    Franknbean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FnB - That is indeed a hard row to hoe, friend. If my travails on the trail help at all with some kind of framework, I am grateful.

      Enjoy your jam tonight!

      Delete
  5. Good post. Great pictures. Good to think about Rule of Five.
    Thank you, TB
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your Rule of Five, TB. As I read, your thoughts encouraged me, made me think of my own applications, and other times challenged me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, I have really found value in making applications to these sorts of things to move them beyond just the "I had a good time" moments.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!