Monday, September 25, 2023

2023 Mt. Goddard Day 6: Post-Corral Creek To Courtright Reservoir

The last day of a hike is almost always the same:  everyone is up early and ready to go.  I am sure it is for various reasons:  getting that food one has been picturing in one's head as a reward for the hike (mine is a vanilla shake), getting a shower, getting back to loved ones.  In our case we had a second incentive:  the gentleman we had left behind at this campsite had hiked out and gone home and taken with him the bear can that had our breakfast in it.  Thus, beyond the remnants of snacks we carried with us, getting out was also our road to food.


The day was thankfully clear and bright and was the first day of the hike that we did not have any rain,  although the signs that it had rained while we were gone were present: the trail was much muddier and streams were running a little higher.



In what was a bit of an unusual practice for me, I struck a conversation with one of the guys on the hike I had not really talked to before.  He was a pilot but he did not start out as one; talking to him about his journey and how he got there was interesting and really made the miles fly by.



By 1100 AM we had all cleared the trail and were ready to head back.


Heading back is typically the same experience for every hike:  to a greater or lesser extent, the vehicle smells like a badly maintained high school locker room.  Everyone is generally quiet, either in reflection or sleep or looking at pictures - and then the buzzing and pings of phones fill the air as we come back into range.

Civilization has returned to find us.


Lunch is usually at a local place.  We sit and wolf down calories (sadly, they did not have shakes at a reasonable price) and reflect, sharing pictures or being surprised by what has gone in the world while we were away.


In this case after lunch we went back to the cabin we started at where we get to indulge in that most pleasant of activities, a hot shower.  You cannot believe how good a hot shower feels after 5 days of not having one.  With that, we all begin to slip away one by one as we head back to our lives and the "real world".


The drive back takes about 4 hours.  The Outdoorsman, The Brit, and I chat about the hike and the high and low points (Interestingly, The Outdoorsman shared that one thought he had when we were going up the Wall was who would be "better" to lose: myself or The Brit.  We all agreed that based on who he would have to report to - with The Brit my sister and his daughter - I was the logical one to lose).


The yellow square in the picture above is Mt. Goddard from the trailhead.  It always amazes me when I am able to find pictures of where I have been from the starting point; it seems so far away.

It is always good to hike, but it is also always good to come back home.


12 comments:

  1. He took the breakfast can with him? Can't think of anything complimentary to say about that.

    Vanilla - good choice. The prices must have been pretty bad to not treat yourself. A rude welcome back to the "real" world.

    I'm glad you're home, safe and sound. I think this was the most spectacular and eventful hike you've shared with us so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it is not quite as bad as it sounds. The bear can itself is probably a $200-$300 item. It might have been okay out there, but even if no-one took it, a real bear might have had a go at it. He did text The Commissioner and I assume the bear can made its way back.

      Vanilla is my favorite - really, my favorite flavor for everything. The shake, as I recall, was in the $9 to $10 range - not surprising for a tourist town 2 hours away from any else, but still not quite justifiable in my mind.

      It was a very eventful hike. Certainly not the hike I intended to have. I believe I had learned more on this hike about myself than any other one.

      Delete
  2. Nylon125:42 AM

    Clear skies after a rain, good choice of photos there. Anybody have a chance to chat with Mr. "I'm going home with the food?" Thanks for taking us along on the hike TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clear skies were welcome.

      He did leave us a message carefully spelled out in rocks and sent a text to The Commissioner - as noted in my response to Leigh, those bear cans are $200-$300 a pop more than likely, so there was a value risk as well.

      Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6:56 AM

    A good conclusion to a very interesting trip. Thank you for writing and attaching photos of the trip and including them in your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. I am grateful that you enjoyed them. Sharing them is one of the great pleasures of completing the hike.

      Delete
  4. My dream food fresh out of backpacking trips was a hot Pizza Hut pizza and ice cold Pepsi. I also looked forward to how soft and smooth it felt riding in the car seat back down from the mountain trailhead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed. we had pizza coming out of the Mt. Whitney hike. It was amazing.

      Frankly, just have a seat with a back was amazing. I confess I keep looking at the ultra-light folding hiking chairs. They are tempting although expensive...

      Delete
    2. I have two of those and do like using them, but I don't take them back packing. Even though they are whisper light, they are still bulky and hard to pack around, even if the detachable headrest is left at home. I have mostly taken them on canoe trips where space isn't at such a premium.

      Delete
    3. Ed, this is the version The Outdoorsman has: https://www.rei.com/product/202033/helinox-sunset-chair. This version at least is not bulky; I do miss having a backrest on the hike.

      Delete
  5. I had to look a second time to see the yellow square. So glad I did. Wow. Mt. Goddard seems incredibly far from your starting point. Where the picture is taken from is where you started hiking from?!? You not only hiked there, but you hiked back! Amazing, TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, this picture is from Courtright Reservoir, which was the trailhead. Road trip was 52 miles (that does not include the 4 mile hike the rest of the team made to try the ascent).

      We did indeed hike There and Back Again.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!