Monday, January 09, 2023

Movie Review: All Quiet On The Western Front

 Among my many historical knowledge gaps, one of the biggest ones lies in the post-World War I German period known as the Weinar Republic.  The period remains fascinating (and I think instructive) both in the fact that the inflation experienced is now used as the example of out of control inflation and the fact that out of Weimar Republic came Nazi Germany.  Surely there are lessons to be learned about how to not dissolve a society and create a worse problem.

But to get to the Weimar Republic, one first has to get through World War I.

All Quiet On The Western Front by Eric Maria Remarque was, at one time, required reading for high school English Literature classes and if you are of a certain generation, you remember reading the story about Paul Baumer, a young German man that enlists in the German army and his experiences both at the front and back in civilian society.  I somewhat remember the book; I also remember the 1979 television adaptation, mostly because it had Richard Thomas of "The Waltons" and "Battle Beyond The Stars" fame.

Last year a new remake came out on Netflix which I watched last week. And while I find unusual to recommend such a horrific story about war, I do not think I can recommend it enough.

The story again focuses on Paul Baumer, with the first scene being an attack across No-Man's land.  The attack is pretty much as horrible and pointless as you might imagine.  The story then reaches back to his background of enlistment (I remember this taking up more time in the book, but here it is less than five minutes of the film).  From there, the movie then takes a leap from his initial arrival at the front to 18 months later, in the early days of November 1918.

The film at this point veers from the book and we see two story lines:  in one story line, the countdown as the German delegation debates signing the Treaty of Versailles; on the other, Paul and his companions on the front as their Commander continues to press forward attacks in the face of what he sees as the betrayal of the Cause.

The battle scenes are intense and in that sense, horrifying - although the reality of them (and they appear pretty real) are likely still far from the actual conditions of the war.  Men die - a lot.  They die by being shot, they die by being stabbed, they die by gas, they die by being bludgeoned, they die by flamethrower, they die by shells, they die by grenades.  

They all die.

At one point one of the attacks, French Tanks arrive.  I do not believe I have ever seen a representation of what actual tanks in World War I would have looked like.  They are as terrifying in the movie as they must have been in real life.

One other place the movie varies from the book is that Paul does not return home and undergo the awkwardness of seeing civilian life versus the battlefield.  Perhaps the Versailles delegation was meant to do this without breaking the continuity of the film; certainly switching back and forth from the battlefield to a drawing room in a train car or a dinner is just as representative.  And while in the end there is some discussion between Paul and Kat, another main character, about what they will do after the War, it does not carry the same impact I remember from the book when Paul is with his father's friends at a Biergarten and they cannot and do not want to understand his world.

One note:  The movie is a German one and thus 90% of the dialogue is in German, except for those parts that are in French.  High School German still served me well, I could understand at least 50% of the movie.  Frau G would be proud.

As I have said, this movie is horrifying, brutal, and realistic.  Why would I recommend it?

First of all, it really is a well made movie.  It is tight and well directed.  There is nothing that is extraneous to the plot, even if that meant that modifying the story from the book.  The descent of Paul from enthusiastic recruit to battle weary veteran to man without a future is convincing.

Second of all, it smacks of realism.  The sets are convincing.  The attacks pull you in - at one point, A the Cat looked up at me in reproach as I got a little over enthusiastic and involved in the movie and disturbed his resting place.  The confusion and terror of charging a trench with bullets and shells flying made me crouch.  

And the tanks.  Oh, the tanks.

The third reason is that it brings to the fore the waste of war.

As part of the opening sequences, we see bodies being pulled from an cart, then placed on the ground and stripped. We follow the stripped uniform as it goes back from the front to be washed, dried and sewn.  The uniform is issued to Baumer upon his enrollment.  He comes back to his recruiter, saying that he was issued the wrong uniform as someone else's name is in it.  The recruiter takes the uniform back, removes the nametag, and gives it back to Baumer;  likely it was too small, he tells Baumer.  It happens all the time.

We know better, of course.

I recommend this movie to every D*!# (word used decidedly) fool that calls for war or violence to solve a problem, to every politician and leader that has not seen war and will not see war, but sees war as the only option.  I recommend it to everyone else as reminder of what war really is:  not the video games we see, not the movies that so often grace the screen, but for the ugly, terrifying, wasteful horror that it is.

Everyone starts a war believing they will win it.  No-one really anticipates the actual cost, until the lives are spent and the money is gone, a generation has been decimated, and the-what-might-have-been's become the reality of broken men, broken economies, broken culture, and a broken state.

9 comments:

  1. Nylon125:05 AM

    Agree with your desire to show it, but it should be shown in the schools but with so much "wokeness" in so many places that won't happen. Even showing it won't change some minds IMHO, look at Putin and Jinping, other people's lives are cheap to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, it would not just be in the schools (were I Benevolent Dictator Of All). It would be in the parliaments and congresses, the military offices, the presidential and prime minister offices, the bureaucracies - every where that government officials send people to wars they do not have to fight.

      Delete
  2. Joe Texan6:53 AM

    Read "The Age of Catastrophe" by Heinrich August Winkler. It covers the period from 1914 through 1945, and the chapters on the events between the wars give an excellent account of what was going on in each of the major combatants' countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation Joe Texan! That sounds just like the sort of thing I am looking for.

      Delete
  3. The name of the book is familiar to me though I'm not sure I've read it. I certainly don't remember the details laid before me about the newest movie remake. I shall put it on my list to watch shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I highly recommend it, although it is rough because of its realism. It does differ from the book enough that I may have to re-read the book again.

      Delete
  4. I watched those type movies in my youth because I was sure I would be called to do the work at some point. Like my grandfathers, my uncles, cousins, my dad.... and I wanted to be ready to meet the call.

    I still believe that war is necessary. Not all wars are, but some are. WW1 wasn't, and it has put the world in it's current position in some ways. Incompatible tribes lumped together in Iraq, the partitioning of Europe into weirdly contrived countries after WW2. And I blame WW2 on WW1. Europe is still a stringy mess.

    Because justice is delayed, the hearts of men are fully inclined to do evil. It's distasteful to punish the evildoer, but it's necessary. If we were better at that, I reckon wars wouldn't be as common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - War is an unfortunate reality of the world we live in (I hesitate to use the word "necessity"). That said, people that have no idea what the cost will be to any state or nation breezily take about it. We entertain ourselves with war on our small screens and our video games. We are scarcely confronted with the sad reality of what it does.

      Delete
  5. All's Quiet on the Western Front was part of my high school curriculum. 1976 or '77. Reading your details of the modern movie, I confess I don't recall any meaningful details, but it was the bleakest book I'd ever read. We also watched the movie (must have been the original). Again details other than men hopelessly dying are lost to me, but I can remember it was the most awful thing I had ever seen in my young life. Hopelessness is what I remember.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!