Monday, October 31, 2022

The Great (Mallow) Pumpkin

Halloween should be rated as the second best candy holiday - the best, as it commonly known, is Easter:  jelly beans, Marshmallow Peeps, and Marshmallow Eggs are without compare (especially the Brach's jelly beans).  Other major candy holidays - Christmas, Valentine's Day - are at best pikers:  while Christmas is great for baked goods, all candies seem to revolve around some idea of mint and Valentine's Day offer nothing but candy crunchy hearts with random sayings I can barely read.

And, every year at Halloween, I eager anticipate the arrival of the best of all the Halloween candies:  The Mallow Pumpkin.


Reliably, these appear on or about the beginning of October and are gone by Halloween - which makes them the perfect seasonal candy to eat as it is a limited time bad habit (this year, sadly, many of our stores were out due to "The Great Mallow Pumpkin Crisis of 2022".  Fortunately, The Ravishing Mrs. TB was able to persevere, after fighting her way the the Zombie bite-sized candy hordes, was able to procure two bags).

To the inexperienced palate, one may believe these to be the same as Candy Corn.  This is an error.  Candy Corn is a similar candy, but definitely tastes different. And the size of the candy means that one does not get the full covering of the tongue and palate with the sugar laden manufactured goodness, merely bits and pieces of candy corn between the teeth and perhaps - perhaps - on the tongue.

Behold, the Mallow Pumpkin in all of its glory:

Perhaps it comes as no surprise that the above represents my daily ration.  I could easily eat an entire bag at one sitting (and perhaps this may have happened more than once).

Like everything else that is delicious and manufactured, there is a rather long list of ingredients that I partially understand:


But ignore all that, friends! Carpe Diem! - or perhaps, Carpe Mallow Pumpkin

After all, life is too short to not have one bad habit!

10 comments:

  1. Huzzah for The Ravishing Mrs. TB! Such perseverance and bravery on her part should be lavishly rewarded, TB.

    Not a fan of candy, so I can't say I relate to your enthusiasm. I suppose the thing that surprises me, is that Brachs hasn't come out with a spice version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate her immensely, Leigh. The fact she could not find any had created some concern.

      Hideously, I suspect that Brach's has at least experimented with a spiced abomination. May it never come to pass.

      Delete
  2. Nylon123:14 AM

    Dove Dark Chocolate Promises are my candy weakness, unfortunately they are available year-round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nylon12, to be fair any candy is my weakness. I try to manage my "snacking" to Sunday afternoons at the Rabbit Shelter as a "reward" for volunteering. But yes, year round candy is dangerous.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:47 AM

    I found out that the Brach's Autumn Harvest flavored candy corn, along with at equal portion of honey roasted peanuts, make a pretty good combination. 50/50 mix. I get a cup of each, mix in a plastic zip lock baggie and I am good to go. One caution though - you need to eat this fully engaged, rather than snacking watching a screen. Otherwise, you end up with an empty bag quicker. Dividing into smaller portion is required - so good !

    Also remember that with Halloween, a lot of those candies will disappear along with holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting concept (and I can see the flavor combination working). Thanks for sharing - and yes, I can eat anything quickly if I am not paying attention.

      In this case, the disappearance works in my favor. If I had these things all year, it would be "bad"...

      Delete
  4. I am not tempted at all and like Leigh, am pretty immune to most candy. Occasionally I'll have a Hershey bar is one is available or perhaps a Kit Kat, but those times can be probably counted on one hand a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, my life in this respect is complicated by Na Clann, who like to bake as well. I have to keep a reasonably short leash on myself (except for the pumpkins of course!).

      Delete
  5. Hafta say I am not a fan of Easter Candy but the pumpkins are cute I will give ya that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cute indeed PP. Also delicious.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!