Friday, October 14, 2022

Parallel Ways Of Working In The System

 In a discussion earlier this week, I  commented about people working ways around the system, of parallel organization and processes that rather than fight the system find their ways around it.  The response is always "Yeah but - but do you have an example of people actually doing those things"?

Turns out I have at least two (beyond those fine people over there on the right doing the same thing).

In both cases, I can assure you that they are real acquaintances.  Names change to protect the innocent, etc. - but they exist.  Oddly enough, in both cases I met them through Highland Games.  Because apparently Highland Gamers are high on the list of "obstinate".

1)  The first example is a husband and wife, probably in their mid-30's when I first met them 6 years ago or so.  He was ex military, a sales person in industry, she was a housewife.  She always wanted to live on farm.  One day, they just decided to do it.

They bought an older home and acreage some miles outside of a larger urban area (not my urban area).  They had zero experience in farming or animal husbandry, but taught themselves.  They acquired poultry, goats and some random donkeys.

They started small, selling fruit preserves and jams and eggs.  When The Book of Face suddenly canceled any sort of reference to marketing products on their website (I assume this is because The Book of Face was not making money on the transaction), they simply learned to mention that they would be "out" at a location on a certain day.

They went through a registration process and started operating a herdshare for goats (individuals "own" part of a herd, thus entitling them to the products of said herd, mostly fresh goat milk).  They started processing poultry - and then started operating classes on how to process poultry.

Their children (homeschooled) are well adjusted from everything I can see and know.  They look happy.  They enjoy their lives.  They are (likely) no more wealthy than they were before, but they have found a way to work around and within the system to live their dreams.

2)  The second example is (again) a husband and wife, again probably in their mid-30's.  The husband is ex-military, ex-peace keeper, retired due to medical injury.  His wife is a yoga instructor.  One day, they apparently just decided they were going to open an organic farm. They had zero experience.  They self taught themselves the requirements and the regulations (more than one comment of his indicated his rather high level of confusion on paperwork).  But they persevered and within 6 months they were ready.

About two weeks ago they went to their first Farmer's market.  Someone asked him how they did.  "Sold almost everything we brought" he responded.  "No one was more surprised than I was".

Again, from what he posts they are enjoying themselves and their lives.  Not rich in money, but rich in doing something that they dreamed of doing.  Instead of risking his life on a daily basis, he gets to spend it with his toddler and their crops.

-----

The reality is that there are ways to work on the fringes and margins of the system or even to work around the system and achieve one's goals.  The secret, I suppose, is creativity, tenacity, and adaptability - things which, somewhat interestingly, our modern society claims to value but only in very specific ways that are always to be exercised in a way that does not challenge said society.

In our own way, we can all be rebels.

8 comments:

  1. I love the examples you gave TB of people finding ways to live their simple dream lives!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain, I am fortunate to know both. The reality is that I bet there are plenty of other people doing the same thing, that I am just overlooking (but need to pay attention to more). Their stories are inspirational to me, if nothing else.

      Delete
  2. Those are great examples. They decided. They did. I admire folks that do what they dream.

    One of the things I get is paralysis due to overthinking. I'm learning to ask "What do I need right now to do X?" If the answer is nothing, I do it. It is such a simple exercise but it is making a difference. It's late in life for me, but no time like now to learn and change and do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR, I am an overthinker as well. Also someone who thinks things will take far longer than they really do. As to late in life - When Diogenes the Cynic philosopher was told by young men "You are an old man, take a rest", his response was "What? If I were running in the stadium, ought I not to slacken my pace when approaching the goal? Ought I not rather to put on speed?"

      Delete
  3. Doing something like this has always appealed to me but my ultra conservative nature just hasn't allowed me to take the risk, especially when I had a good thing going "in the system". But I do admire those who evidently aren't phased by the risks and are able to do something like that they really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I feel the same way (except having tried on my own once and not done well, I am double conservative). I doubt I would ever try something like that now, but admire the heck out of the people that do it.

      Delete
  4. Great stories, TB. God bless them and God bless you all. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great stories Linda. I am honored to know such people.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!