Monday, October 24, 2022

The Burial Of TB The Elder

 The Saturday of the funeral was cold and overcast - a cold front had blown in ("cold front" being a relative term for my more northerly readers of course), and the wind blew in steadily from the southwest as it always does at this time of year, driving the moisture that will bring the Winter rains.

The graveyard itself is the old original graveyard of my hometown, with graves going back well into the 19th Century and their markers of granite, some old ones stand tall and straight, others askew or akimbo as the ground has shifted.  My mother and father purchased this site years and years ago; in retrospect I have no idea why, other than it was something that my mother's father had recommended to my father (and for anything financial, my father always took his advice).  I had never been to it before today - had never known where it was until the morning of the funeral.  It was there, in the back corner of the downhill slope, surrounded by others who in no way seemed related to my parents in any way.

It was a small service:  our family, my sister's family, and the pastor of their last church.  After the customary greetings and initial small talk, we milled around as we waited for the start of the time.  My father sat there, a small mahogany box upright on the table with the American Flag ready for folding; behind the table was a small hole in the sod with a container for the box.

The Navy Honor guard arrived and The Outdoorsman took the flag out to them as we waited - it is not as if there is any sort of instruction manual on this.  They conferred at the top for a few moments, then came down to the grave:  two men in dress blues, one older and one younger, the older (my guess is a petty officer from the stripes on this uniform) carrying the flag and the other one - younger, with a corpsmans' insignia - an instrument case.

The senior naval man was kind, saying that although he did not know TB the Elder personally, he did know him through his naval service and both knew and honored him through that knowledge.  With that, the service effectively commenced

The corpsman moved away to the side, opened his case, and pulled out his bugle.  After adjusting the mute inside the bell, he played Taps.  It was as haunting a rendition and moment as I can remember: the wind blow and rustling the trees, the sailor at attention, all of us with our hands over our hearts, the song soaring aloft.

After replacing the bugle, the corpsman approached the table and took the flag.  Given the end to the petty officer, they slowly walked it back and unfolded it, then unfolded it again, then with a snap expanded it to its full size.  It was held there for a moment until, they began to fold it back up, first over and then over again, then in the triangles I remember from Cub Scouts and Flag Day.  As a practitioner of paired martial arts, it was interesting to watch the subtle signs of co-ordination between the older and younger man, eyes flickering back and forth and a slight nod, unnoticed except for those who would know.

After folding, the petty officer brought the flag to my sister and said the standard phrase "On behalf of the President of the United States, the United States Navy, and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's honorable and faith service". With that, they saluted one more time and marched off slowly.”

The graveside service was likely the standard one most of my readers will be familiar with: an opening prayer, a reminder that this life is not all there and that we are dust and to dust we will return, the Lord's Prayer, and a benediction.  With that, the service ended and the pastor left us for the service in the afternoon.

All that remained was for my father to be interred.

We looked at each other - The Outdoorsman and I were the most likely candidates, and after a brief exchange of glances, I took the job for myself.  Removing the astro-turf covered board that was on the hole, I knelt down and put the box in the container - somewhat amusingly, there was not really any clear way to do this:  Stand it upright?  Lay it down?  Would my mother eventually go in here?  Finally after some consultation, we laid him down and then placed the cover over the the box.

There was a finality to placing that cover on the box, a finality that was not felt by myself later in the day at the memorial service. That would be a time of remembering. This was a time tying up the last truly loose end with my father over the last 2 year journey we had experienced together.

The wind blew on as we went back to cars to find breakfast although, perhaps out of a grace undeserved, the sun did come out to light our way.



16 comments:

  1. Nylon126:16 AM

    My placing of the urn containing my Mom's remains in the ground while Dad watched and then doing the same for my Dad two years later both came with that same finality which was intense. God bless you and yours TB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing Nylon12. The intensity of the emotion was a surprise to me. I had not anticipated the finality of the action.

      Delete
  2. My grandfather's ashes remain in a urn, that contains two compartments, on a shelf in my grandmother's bedroom awaiting for her to join him before being buried. My father scattered most of my mom's ashes without us with him so I don't know exact locations unfortunately. I suppose we will scatter him around in similar spots and just hope that they are close together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, my parents sort of - but never fully - told us what their wishes were, so we went (honestly) with what was most convenient for us, which was the burial plot the purchased in my hometown. That way they will be visited, at least through our lifetime.

      Delete
  3. Taps. I'm misting up a bit as it plays in my mind.

    The burial marks the end of this phase.
    As you said, it was intense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, John. I had not grasped the finality of it until right at that moment.

      Delete
  4. You are a good man, TB. You are rendering honor to your folks. You have my respect, sir. I remember that finality as well. Mom's was of a woman taken too young. Dad's was almost joyful, a man gathered to his people, and who was ready to go, albeit too young. But God populates Heaven, so it's not my choice that matters, only my reaction.

    I should go back and visit their spot soon. I haven't been by there in ten years or so. I may not get another chance before we stand together over there...

    Taps pulls my insides out. I'm 5 again, watching the Marines snap the flag, Grandma accepting the flag, and pretty Celeste crying softly... The riflemen shoot the salute, then hear the reports rolling away in the distance. Then the sorrow of the bugle.... Haunting... appropriate... Getting dusty in here....

    May God richly bless you and your family as you remember his life and legacy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you STxAR. I hope so. Then again, I had good examples in how they honored their parents.

      I will stop by and see my father before I go - even like before when he was in the assisted living, it is more for me than for him at this point.

      We were lucky. This was a death long expected. I cannot imagine how that ceremony would be for the unexpecting.

      Delete
  5. I appreciate your description. Your readers have come to know your father, in a sense, through your writing. So I share a sense of sadness with the occasion. It's the natural course of things, we all know that. Yet there is still a need for personal resolution. As part of God's creation, I suspect we are unique in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh.

      I hope people have come to know him - prior to December 2020, I know he read this blog regularly (probably one of the things that kept me writing consistently), so is some way he perhaps got to know others here as well.

      I suspect you are right. Animals can grieve, but ultimately they have to move on for survival. Only we seem cursed - or blessed - with the need to resolve things, not just endure them.

      Delete
  6. raven7:30 PM

    May we all have someone to bury us.
    May our bones not lay, unmourned, in the tall grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raven, all I can do is be the example to my own children, the way my parents and grandparents were to me in such matters. We did honor our dead; something often lost in today's mobile society.

      Delete
  7. I remember my father's funeral - it was very small, and he was buried next to Ma on a hill surrounded by beautiful mountains in a valley beneath Wilder mountain. I looked out, and saw a landscape that won't change for 20,000 years, and thought of our place in eternity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, were it legal to bury someone on private property, we might very well have buried him on the land he loved so many years. That said, ownership changes, and perhaps just for me, I need a place to go see him still.

      Delete
    2. Whoa? Not legal? Wow.

      Delete
    3. Depends on the state I imagine. Here where The Ranch is, frowned upon at least - although to be fair, I doubt once one comes to pick up the cremated remains, anyone really follows up...

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!