Tuesday, October 18, 2022

A Rogue Pair Of Jeans

 This weekend, during the Weekly Sorting Of The Clean Laundry, a pair of black jeans appeared on my side of the bed.  I looked at them, looked and the waist, and then turned to The Ravishing Mrs. TB as she was putting her laundry away.

"These are not mine"  I said, holding them up to my frame.

She looked at them, then looked at the waist.  "These are your size" she replied.

I looked inside - yup, waist and in-seam were correct.  "But I do not recognize these" I responded.  "If these are mine, I have not seen them for months.  I have one pair of black jeans - these".  I held out the prayer I had just been wearing, which are the "I do not wear them out for real" as they have random splotches that I have no idea where they came from and wearing them anywhere other than to the rabbit shelter or out in the garden would earn me the "Are you really wearing that out?" eye.

"Maybe Nighean Dhonn had borrowed them" she responded. "She has said she likes wearing your jeans".

I do not know when this "my clothes started leaving my closet" practice started, but apparently it has expanded in scope.

One day, sitting in the front room writing away, I noticed her getting ready for school.  The shirt looked vaguely familiar - then I realized it was vintage 1980's Structure shirt (if you are that old, you know the type).  

"That is mine"  I noted.

"I like it" was the response as my daughter and my shirt headed out the door for the day.

Since that time, I have had T-shirts with clever logos, my corduroy pants, other shirts with collars, and (apparently) more than one pair of jeans go missing.  Sometimes I apparently think I have lost them, sometimes they float back into the laundry cycle and end up on my side of the bed and it is like a video game where one finds random, unexpected "power-ups". 

It is not as if there are not multiple full closets of clothes in the house.  Four, just in case you were not keeping track.  How mine seem to keep getting appropriated is a bit beyond me.

On the bright side I suppose, the possibility of "shopping" in-house goes both ways.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:14 AM

    My own Stone Mountain printed T-shirts are also taken and used until done with. I ask 'where did it go - I want to wear it today', but it migrated to a black hole somewhere, until it just shows back up. I'm an informal person, not a fashion plate whatsoever. Button up shirts are not worn often..

    I guess I'm a little flattered, my daughter is picky. Maybe because the shirts are old and not often seen around any more, they have become fashionable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am flattered as well - who knew I was a fashion plate?

      Honestly, my problem is that they disappear and I forget I own them - until they reappear.

      Delete
  2. Having married someone a foot smaller than me and having two kids who are closer to her size and shape than mine, this is an issue I have never had. But this sort of thing happens all the time between my wife and our oldest daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, this has happened occasionally with The Ravishing Mrs. TB's shirts, and certainly among themselves. I have read of it happening other places. But never in a million years would I have suspected parts of my wardrobe would qualify for high school fashion. Perhaps I really am a trend setter after all.

      Delete
  3. Much like Ed, my spouse and I will never share clothing, and we have no other people living here.
    I appreciate what is going on, but we don't have that happening.

    It's more common for us to, "Put this away where we will be able to find it." and then never, ever, find it again.
    There is a small bottle of super-duper hinge pin oil that seems to be in some sort of alternate space time universe in our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, your reality is also our reality. Occasionally I find things I swear have been lost for years - because they have been lost for years.

      Delete
    2. John, I have found the easiest way to locate your super duper hinge oil bottle is to buy another one and then go to put is somewhere that you can remember for a future use. That is always when I find the previous bottle I was missing!

      Delete
    3. Ed, that is sound advice, well attested to by the evidence.

      Delete
  4. What John in Philly said. I can't count the number of times that has happened to us. Even after telling the other where we were going to put it.

    Funny story, TB. Especially the part about the prayer. ;-)

    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, there are items I know I have put down somewhere for a "minute" - which turned out to be forever, apparently.

      Delete
  5. That's an odd occurrence. I don't remember that happening to me. I've loaned stuff out but never had anyone shop in my drawers...... Ha! made myself snicker....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being 5'2" and mom 5'8" that never happened. My daughter and I were the same size for about 5 minutes. She's 5'10" and son clocks in at 6'3" while his dad was 5'10. So other than one really loved outfit that hubby hated that magically disappeared never to be see again. He would never cop to having any part in it's disappearance but I still think he's the culprit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GL, I always thought height and body type would have been an impediment to my clothes being borrowed. Apparently, I was mistaken.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!