Monday, January 31, 2022

Writing The Exhausting

One of the things that you may have noticed if you have followed me for some period of time is that the nature of my writing has changed.

To a large extent this is a conscious choice on my part.  There are types of writing that I find I enhance the thoughts I am trying to present and conversations and exchanges that I am hoping to enable, and types of writing that do not; generally, it tends to be the thoughts around current events or social issues that fail me the worst - not that those are not worthy of being written about, just that I do not write of the well nor manage the conversation well.  In a way this strikes me as incredibly odd, as originally when I started this blog a long time ago, that was what I thought would consume my writing.  Of course, I also once believed that success in blogging was literally waiting right around the corner if I just threw up my shingle, wrote a few posts, and sat back and waited for the world to recognize my brilliance - so my judgement on such matters is highly suspect to start with.

Instead, as I have worked to replace the things I thought I would write on, I find myself writing on the more mundane things that are happening in my life, and the more internal.  The mundane things - vacations, hobbies, animals, The Ranch - are good practice in descriptions for me and, I hope, give you a bit of insight into what sometimes feels like the slow moving schizophrenic collections of activities and beliefs I call a life.

The internal writing is harder.

I have always been more comfortable writing about the my internal life than speaking of it, so much so that it can drive those close to their wit's end trying to find out what I am thinking. It is nothing personal that I  am aware of - in point of fact I often simply do not have opinions on lots of things (trying to get me to choose a place for dinner is a hopeless endeavor; I just like food); if that is the case for something relatively simple, the deeper things seem to come with much more effort if at all.  Writing is much easier - as the saying goes, talking is hard.

But even as I push into the internal, I find it exhausting.

In the change of pace and focus, I am advancing into things I had not anticipated would be problems or cause me this level of almost shying away.  Rather tragically for my ego, it is not the sort of interesting items that make for good reality shows or anguished biographies:  my issues are largely pedestrian and hardly the sort of thing that makes for riveting movies about misspent youths and failed lives.   And yet, as I continue to write and begin to force the paths I go down more insistently, I find the resistance grows.

The point of course is not to name names or make those involved uncomfortable about such tings: I made an agreement with myself years ago that I would not write anything personal about someone else that, were they to read it, they would feel uncomfortable reading  or I would feel uncomfortable explaining.   I, of course, am fair game for my own words and postings:  if I desire honesty and believe it enables good relationships and exchanges (which I do, and believe that such things are necessary if we want to have an actual future), I need to be able to bear the slings and arrows of my own words and discoveries.

The point of this missive, I suppose, is to both beg your indulgence as well as apologize in advance if you find or will find that the tone of the writing has changed - but not entirely of course:  I still intend to post on the mundane as well.  This is not meant as an insult or slight to you and hopefully will not feel as if you were lured in under false pretenses, especially if you have read me for a while.  I am driving towards something I cannot fully see or explain at this point, a level of clarity about myself and perhaps about the world that I have not asked of either before.  There is, I think, nothing wrong in the asking; what is interesting to me now is that the writing feels more "honest" even as it feels more challenging.

The flak, as they say, is most pervasive when one is directly over the target.

Your Obedient Servant, Toirdhealbheach Beucail

12 comments:

  1. What you consider mundane are the things life is made of. If they are important to you, if they help you think things through, or just help you clear your mind; that is what is important.

    It's your blog. Write for you. We, your friends, will follow as we will.

    Be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed Linda, and I have to say that probably over the years, those the blogs that I have come to appreciate more. Mundane can mean many things to many people, and seeing the bits of the lives of others through how they live has a certain preciousness to it that current events, no matter how stimulating and, well, current, do not.

      Thanks for the vote of confidence.

      Delete
  2. I’ve noticed it TB. I always stop by. We are living in very divisive times and you can either hide away from them, or get lost in them, or find some balance between the two. If you are finding it exhausting maybe it’s because you haven’t found your particular air/fuel ratio yet. I think your carb is leaned out a tad too much. 😆👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, it is quite possible. Balance in all things, and I have apparently not found that balance yet. I do appreciate your patience.

      Delete
  3. On my blog, I write about whatever is currently happening in my life, topics I am interested in, or things that piss me off. My blog is for me, yet I am amazed how many people read it and submit comments. You just keep on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glypto - Thank you very much for the vote of confidence. It is odd - I think for most of us, it is not that we are in any kind of "competition" with each other for viewers, only with ourselves for what we think we be most entertaining or useful. Which, as you say, is more often than not just about us and what is going on in our lives.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I have written about others on occasion but recently realized that due to the periodic format of blogging, context can be lost and thus open up what I wrote to misinterpretation. Thus like you, I have been refraining myself from writing about others but find it not as satisfying as before. I’m not sure how this conflict will resolve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed - I have followed you at least long enough to remember the incident, and as you say, it very readily becomes open to misinterpretation. It makes it hard, as (at least for me) my life does have people and they are important characters in it, not just minor characters passing through or "Red Shirts" whose only job is to demonstrate this week's alien creature.

      I am struggling a bit as I find my feet in this as well. I worry that I will become too "focused" on what is going on with me and as a result will make this purely the equivalent of an on-line diary, which is not my intent. But there has to be a way to combine that with what I feel like are the larger themes of my life that I want to communicate and get it out there in a way that is engaging and has the hallmark of authenticity.

      I suspect the only way out is the way through - or as Churchill said, "When going through Hell, keep going".

      Delete
    2. I have not heard that Churchill saying before... but I love it! Thanks for sharing it with me.

      Delete
    3. You are more than welcome Ed - If you look for it, there are any number of clever memes on it.

      Delete
  5. TB, I don't recall how I found your blog, but I remember being intrigued and even touched at times by the direct and interesting way you write about spiritual things. I think those posts got me hooked on the way you put together thoughts and I found myself checking in from time to time just because, while your content isn't the typical blog fare I indulge in, I knew what you'd write would be clever. And deep. And sometimes I just need a dose of deep and clever. So there you go... I recognized your brilliance right off the bat. :)

    I'm a new enough reader here to not really know what changes you've made in your writings of late, or to recognize if anything new is actually a different direction than what was here before, so I'm in for seeing where your blogging journey leads.

    While, for the present, I don't feel able to write often, nor completely transparently about the most important and profound stuff of my life as of late, I do enjoy reading other's writings of "the inner self" and glean useful things from them. At the very least, what I think I'm learning is that we all have this inner, unseen part of us that wants to be known - for a variety of reasons, I suppose. And I take some comfort and assurance from that.

    So write on! I like Linda's advice - which sounds pretty much like what you plan to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, it is a funny thing: I think for most of the blogs I follow, I could not tell you how I found my way there. I just, as they say, "showed up" one day.

      As always, thank you for kind words. If you derive some level of enjoyment, let alone thoughtfulness, from my writings then that is literally all I hoped to accomplish and more. A writer writes to be read; the fact that it may help someone else is just icing on the cake.

      My concern - and why I voiced it - is I am conscious of the fact that endless introspection does not make for good writing either. Endlessly droning on about one's inner struggles without any sort of application to others or the larger world is about as engaging as reading someone's diary every day: occasionally entertaining, but mostly boring. So there is a mix and balance I have to find.

      I also think - to your last paragraph - there are things we can glean from the thoughts and struggles of others; I have certainly benefitted from such. Even to the extent that perhaps I can get some to talk about such things will be a victory.

      Thank you for your support.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!