Sunday, January 02, 2022

The Middle Of Some Other Story


 One of the more interesting developments I have noted about myself as the years roll on is my increasing reluctance and indeed silence in the area of giving other people advice.

It was not always this way: raised on a steady diet of heroic fiction and having the ideals of Knight Errantry, it seemed like correct thing to do was to offer advice as well as assistance. And even as I continued on in life, the thought of "advising" seemed to make even more sense:  life experience, "short cuts" on learning how not do to things, etc.  

The rather remarkable thing I found was that I was apparently quite terrible at offering advice.  

This should not have surprised me all that much, I suppose:  my only other mode of advising, which was dating relationships, was also terrible. I had a record of something like - 2 in terms of giving solid dating advice, up to and including encouraging relationships that ended up in divorce.  Or sadness.  Pretty much in terms of dating and relationship wisdom, I had none.  Other than, perhaps "Silence is golden". 

My success at offering advice was not much better.  But what I had failed to appreciate was the fact that, really, I am simply coming in midway on everyone else's story.

The reality is that every one of us is in the midst of our own life's story.  That is a stunning thought when I consider it for a moment:  every day, something like 7 billion people are writing their biographies.  Most of us only see bits and pieces of those biographies based on our own interactions with them.  It is like seeing a two minute section of a two hour movie and somehow believing we understand the plot (Maybe we get lucky - like that two minute part being the destruction of the Death Star.  Most of the time, not so much).  

In some of those stories - the ones we are most involved in, like perhaps our spouses or children or family or best friends - we play the role of supporting character, someone who is not necessarily critical to the main story but very important.  In most of them, we have much less of a role:  we are "Red Shirt Security Guard #5" or "Villager with a cantaloupe".  We would react with surprise if, in a book or a movie, these characters suddenly pulled the protagonist over to their side of the street and started mapping things out for them in a way that only a major character would - in fact, we would likely consider it poor writing.

But what it does mean - and perhaps I have just realized this - is just because we are minor characters in the life stories of others does not mean we do not have advice to give or a role to play.  It more becomes a question of how we play that role.

In a great many books I have read - less movies, but only because I watch less movies - there is often a minor character that sticks out in our minds and we remember, perhaps long after we have forgotten the main plot or other characters, because something they said or did made a change to the trajectory of the main character or story.  It was not only what they said, it was that they said it at precisely the moment the character needed to hear it or acted just when the action needed to occur to change the outcome.  Their influence ultimately transcended their actual stature in the story itself.

It all comes down to timing, of course - not the character's timing, but the timing of the author or writer who is making the story.  The main character is ready to listen or act, the minor character says the words or takes the action - and suddenly, everything is different.

When the disciple is ready, it is said, the master will appear.  Or in this case, the advice will show up.

I do not worry nearly so much about the need to contribute advice or experience to someone else's life - I mean, I do still consider it an important thing and in many ways a repayment to all those who have done the same for me - but it is no longer a thing I actively seek out.  In my understanding, it is God as the ultimate writer of everyone's biography that sets those appointments. It is my job to simply be ready with the words or the actions when the situation truly presents itself, not when I perceive it "needs" to be done.

I do not know that I give much advice that way.  That said, when it happens people seem to benefit in ways I could not have foreseen when I was "forcing" the situation.  Perhaps it is coming to understand that the totality of most lives cannot be compressed into the short period of time we have with most people.  Or perhaps simply being humble enough to learn that I am only a minor character, not the main star, in everyone else's life but my own.

I suppose in that sense, "Red Shirt Security Guard #5"  has a certain ring to it.

16 comments:

  1. When I was an apprentice electrician, my journeyman said, "you should watch your lead man closely. Anticipate when he will need a tool or part and have it ready for him. He should never have to ask for anything. Your job is to keep him working steadily." As a result, I knew his job in a matter of months. I made lead in 13 months, normally that took 2 years.

    I adopted that mindset in everything I did and do. Every coworker became a subject of study. But I quickly found out there are very very few like me. Even when I explained the concept, it was beyond them. Either they were too self-important, uninterested or just dim bulbs.

    Like you said, I was ready and the master showed up. I had worked with dad like that, but not consciously. Jim's admonition has borne lifelong fruit. He was a bit player in my life, less than 2%, but that 2% led to 60%-75% of my success. And tremendous personal satisfaction.

    I still give advice, even unasked for advice. I usually preface it with a personal anecdote, then comment, "this is worth every penny you are paying for it". Then mention what I think. I don't normally followup unless it's family. And even then I ask how did things go for you, not did you do what I said.

    In my mind the hard won lessons, bromides and mistakes are yours for the asking. They were gifts to me, and if I can help you slide along life a little easier, I will. If you don't want it, I'll keep it. But for Heaven's sake, if you know a mistake I made, make a different one. Don't repeat stupidity if you know better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is impossible to give bad advice, as STxAR does here. I did the same thing but with engineered sales. When I started out I made sure my outside guys had everything they needed too, before they asked for it.

      Up here in Canada most employers aren't smart enough to reward that kind of thing and wonder why their employees leave as a result.

      Delete
    2. STxAR, I have a different version of a similar story, in my case a manager telling me to begin to think in terms of "What will my next question be?", with the thought that having decided on the question, I would then go out and get the answers. And the next questions and answers, and so on. In your case, you took the instruction and it served you well. In my case I balked at it, as it felt just as much a hammer for when I did not "ask the question" as it did for actually moving things forward.

      Learning the foibles of coworkers and managers is a useful skill, for survival if for no other option (I note in passing that in the book How To Become CEO by Jeffrey Fox, he recommends learning everything about one's boss but toeing the friendship line until you no longer work at the same company. I have struggled with this in some cases - I like working with friends - but in the changing work environment, become friends with any coworker seems to happen less and less.

      My "advice" to coworkers or friends is now usually couched in the phrase "Have you thought about doing X?". This gives them the power of decision without committing to anything.

      Delete
    3. Learning how someone is thinking? Man, that would difficult. My thoughts are like lightning bugs. The flash out of the dark, and I don't know where they came from or where they go. I can't imagine anyone trying to anticipate that. I am no mind reader, for sure and for certain.

      It's a ton easier for manual work: when you see a corner coming up and know to get the bender and a fresh stick of conduit. Oh, more screws and clamps.... plenty of couplings here.... I'll set up the other ladder, so he can just climb down then back up without missing a beat.

      Dave, my mentor in broadcast engineering, let me wire my first transmitter remote controller horribly. Then he ripped out six hours of work. He said, "No, I don't sign my name to that kind of work. Like this..." And taught me how to make it look good, make it easy to troubleshoot, and flow like smooth water. He even paid me for the six hours of wasted effort. I learned quick, I already had the proper mindset, just needed the example. Again, manual work.

      You posit, and I see my experience. That is difficult to overcome. Especially since we both have such long tenure doing what we do.

      Did we skew off the line of "bit players in the theater of life" or what?

      Delete
    4. Glen, I think it is not just rewarded in Alta Canada. It is no different here in Baja Canada either.

      Essentially you are discussing a different form of logistics, which is always a benefit. Perhaps a bit different in my current role, as the logistics I have is information. Always notify up the chain if there is an issue or risk, even if it is just a potential one.

      Delete
    5. STxAR, it is helpful in my industry and line of work to know how someone thinks because often I can note only anticipate their needs, I can anticipate their reaction. A useful thing, especially if I can end run a potential problem - no different than seeing the end of the conduit coming up and preparing the next run. Honestly, different sides of the same coin.

      I, too, have had mentors who let me "wire" my proverbial box, and then suggest ways to improve it (and paid me as well for the time). It is the way I learn the best.

      Did we stray? It is all ultimately offering something to prevent an issue or transmit wisdom, so I do not know that we did.

      Delete
  2. I want to be the minor character, Cheerful, Eccentric, Old Guy who graciously let the main character go ahead in the Q.
    But as we sometimes are just sent over from central casting to fill a hole in the background, we might end up being the minor character who wears out the horn because the main character didn't zoom through the light as soon as the light turned green.

    As for advice, I think it was a leadership training course in the military that said that advice is divided into practical advice and personal advice.
    For practical advice, listen to what is said, then tell the person, "I will show you."
    For personal advice, listen to what is said, then think deeply, after thinking deeply say, "That is serious, I would sleep on it and make my decision in the morning when I am rested."
    The course noted that when you factor in the odds of good personal advice being applied correctly, they aren't good odds.

    That's pretty near exactly what you said above about giving them the power to decide without committing to anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John - Yes, we often get assigned from Central Casting with rather incomplete scripts and less than complete instructions. Helpfully as well, the main characters do not always realize that we need to them to do something to fulfill our role as well.

      That advice class seems like a very wise breakdown, and one I will likely use in the future. And yes, one of those "advice" things I learned was never, ever make a decision when you are tired, angry, or anything other than thinking straight.

      Causality of the individual is important and, at least from my position, we should do everything we can to encourage it in others.

      Delete
  3. Based on the reaction/response of those to whom I try to give advice, I've learned that my secret superpower is invisibility. Still, you bring up some very good points about receptivity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, that is a great superpower to have in this case! My follow on - similar to yours - is silence; often I will say nothing unless specifically asked (if they are sincerely asking, then they are receptive).

      Delete
  4. I still give advice, but it's more of the universal kind. Doesn't mean that it's good advice. Some things I stay completely away from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, that is not bad advice (pun completely intended). And yes, as I get older I have stayed farther and farther away from more kinds of advice. Much like many other subjects, it seems to create more issues than the advice tries to solve.

      Delete
  5. I usually give advice by explaining at how I failed doing something pertinent to the discussion at hand. I find I'm much more successful than trying to give advice at something I succeeded at the first time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, that is a brilliant idea. People are always more willing to listen to how you failed than how you succeeded, no matter what they say to the contrary.

      Delete
  6. raven3:49 PM

    The older I get, the more I want advice, and the more reluctant to tackle some project without it, having learned how easy it is to screw things up. The quality of advice given is subject to careful scrutiny, complicated by lack of knowledge about the subject.
    Of all my takeaways, this is first- if the "expert" gets defensive, run. Virtually all the really competent people I have ever known have been relaxed in their expertise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raven, it is odd - I had not written about my own need for advice in all of this - but yes, I find it more necessary, especially as you say for the projects I know nothing about (and I do keep trying them).

      Same experience on the true expert versus the self-proclaimed expert: the self proclaimed never like to be challenged.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!