Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Costa Rica: A Retrospective

 Thanks for taking the time to come along with us to Costa Rica.  I hope you enjoyed the trip.  We certainly did.

As it customary for my Iai training, it is expected at the end of every session that I provide an overview with what I learned during the experience.  This was a more difficult trip than most due to the fact for me at least, this seemed like  a much different "vacation" than what I have been used to.  None the less, an assignment is an assignment.  I was able to come up with three:

1)  There Are No Problems, Only Situations

(Monte Verde)

This was a saying that our guide gave as a typical "Costa Rican" attitude.  Problems, he said, are unsolvable and only allow people to sit around and complain.  Situations can be talked through until resolved.

I like this.  The amount of "problems" in my life are much less than the amount of "situations".

2)  There Is Great Joy In Simplicity

(Sugar Cane)

As I had mentioned, the national dish of Costa Rica is cansado, rice and beans which are served at every meal.  I had this several times for all different meals - and it was delicious.  There was a lot that was not present in Costa Rica - but a simple life, surrounded by such a beautiful landscape, is not a bad thing.

3)  The Small Town World Still Exists

(Mt. Arenal)

Once outside of San Jose, most of the towns were drove through were much smaller regional centers.  Driving through them, I was reminded of small towns I knew when I was growing up:  completely functional small towns with all the stores one would expect in a small town - not just one or two grocery stores and an mega-super store, but small shops with all kinds of goods.  For me, it was a nice step back time - small town America still exists in the world, just not really in America anymore.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:06 AM

    There is an old Mexican dicho which states 'WHAT CANNOT BE REMEDIED MUST BE ENDURED'. Your definition of problem vs situation sounds very similar to this. Deal with what you have been given vs thinking if things were different.

    Small town America does still exist, but not in towns but pockets of towns. Downtown where Mom and Pop storefronts are still struggling to hold their own against Wal-Mart for example. Many mini indoor flea markets built in large empty stores, a 20' x 20' space with bed sheet walls hung on rope or cords. Good use of space where the small businesses cannot afford their own dedicated building. But it works, business brought in by word of mouth.

    I really enjoyed reading this vacation series - thank you for posting about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - That indeed sounds very much like a different version of the same thing (oddly enough, I have heard the connection but never made the comparison).

      It comforts me to hear your relation of small town America. Unfortunately currently living in an urban environment, the only thing one usually sees is the maw of urbanity devouring formerly small towns in its quest for urban living space.

      Thank you so much for the kind words - in a way, doing this (and feedback like yours) helps me to cement my learnings in a way just looking at pictures does not.

      Delete
  2. This is a wonderful closing post to an interesting blog series. Your personal take-aways from the trip are very affirming, especially to those of us who are working toward similar points-of-view. It's refreshing to step outside our routine realities and get a different perspective of life and how people choose to live it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - Living in the urban world (not quite by choice) and be constantly saturated (when I am looking) about the importance of the "modern world", it often appears that the only path is the one that we (US/Canada/Europe/Japan/Australia) are on. It comforts me to know that the other world views continue to thrive and in some ways show more resilience than our own (although I do not wonder that The Plague and the resulting economic shutdown/slowdown have led a great many people to question that trajectory).

      So grateful you enjoyed the journey with me!

      Delete
  3. Very good thing to do. The synopsis. I had a manger that told me, "adults have situations, children have problems." I adopted that attitude. One other thing that I'm learning to do is ask, "is there anything I should have asked that I didn't?" THAT simple question has opened up amazing vistas to me.

    People have been living simply forever. It's something I try and practice. My house is about 1100 square feet. I've never purchased a new car. I prefer to buy older and fix them up to my standards. So far, I've been able to do just that. That leaves me with a bit to share with neighbors and family. Jesus was pretty clear in His teaching about giving, and building barns for the extra. I still have too much stuff, but the plan is to offload as I go along.

    Good stuff TB. I enjoyed the vacation by proxy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STxAR - I am realizing (almost as I write this) that the question you ask is a good one. It is something I struggle with - I do not necessarily feel I have the self confidence to accomplish a thing and so dismiss it out of hand before I try. This needs to change next year.

      We have not purchased a new car since 2010 (to be fair, we still drive it). We need to work on having less - oddly enough, Na Clann are far better about it that I am. But I do have the experience with my parents this year and if I do not move it along with thought, someone else may do it with no thought.

      I am glad you enjoyed the vacation - being able to write and share about it makes it more fun!

      Delete
    2. TB, it takes the sting out of ignorance, that question. And it throws the imparting of knowledge to the knowledgeable. I have yet to have a poor response to it.

      I had a consult with a CPA this year. I saw how much she charged for an hour and about lost my mind. So I studied and read and got educated. Then we talked for about 30 minutes. She was floored that I would do that. I said, "I don't want to waste your valuable time and my scarce money asking a question any moron could find on the internet." She thought that was smart. Then I hit her with the "what questions am I too ignorant to know to ask?" And she about fell over. "In thirty years of doing this, NO ONE has asked me that!!!" That was the last 15 minutes of graduate level important points that she slung at me. I could barely keep up with my note taking.

      Ignorance is like fleas... not bad to have them. Not smart to keep them.

      Have a good evening!

      Delete
    3. STxAR, one of the best questions I have found to ask in interviews if "If you could change one thing at your current company, what would it be?" I have gotten amazing answers, including "Best question ever" and "No-one asked me that before".

      Studying up before vising the CPA was brilliant. And I am completely going to steal that before we have to start our estate planning next year.

      (Also, flea quote should be considered "acquired" as well.)

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!