Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Traveling And Not Traveling

One of the great "divides" that exists in the TB household is that of travel.  

The Ravishing Mrs. TB is a traveler.  She likes to travel and enjoys all parts of planning for the trip: researching where to go, making itineraries, booking places, deciding which restaurants she wants to eat at, identifying small wonders to be discovered.  And she is willing to go anywhere.

I am less of a traveler.  I do not mind going, but the places I am interested in going are pretty specific.  I really do not enjoy the planning aspect of it (other that to find the things I would like to see).  I am just as much a "spend time at home" person, both by inclination and by current reality (e.g., when you out of your home so much that you pay for, you like to be in it when you can be).

This has created, as you might imagine, a bit of a thought exercise as we continue to roll towards not having Na Clann around anymore.  Any sort of long term relocation has to be set in terms of not only all the usual things, but availability of an airport to go away.  This tends to limit one's options for relocation.

How does this all end up?  Not sure, but I suspect that in the end someone will be taking more vacations and someone else will be spending more time back at home. Which is perfectly okay - I think we have discovered over the years that we can each do that part of it well.

But yes, there are still some places that even I would like to still go.  Maybe I will even tear myself away from my projects and goals to see them.

2 comments:

  1. It all works out. I spent 10 years travelling, doing hotels, restaurant food and seeing the sights in my spare time, if there was any. It got old fast.

    My wife loves travel and sometimes I just send her away and she has a ball. Last time she went down to mexico with her friends while I stayed home and played with the dogs. In the fall I went out hunting and she stayed home with the dogs.

    It actually was good in that we were happy to see each other again afterward. Getting away from each other for a short time is actually healthy in my opinion - even for a strong marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glen, I followed the same path - and yest, it does get old.

    We do separate activities and that is fine - and she is far more likely to go than I am at this point. Separate interests are good things.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!