Friday, November 22, 2019

Accurate Versus Precise

I am accurate. I am not always precise.

Accurate:  Done with care; conforming exactly, deviating only slightly or within acceptable limits from a standard.

Precise:  Minutely exact; exactly or sharply defined or stated.

So I am accurate - I get the gist of information or the sense of it, the concept of what is being discussed.  But I am not always precise.  And I really need to work on becoming more precise, especially in my line of work. 

An important note:  Accuracy does not necessary take time, but being precise always does.  That comes at a cost, of course:  accuracy generally happens more quickly than being precise.  So accuracy has its place as well.

What can one do to become more precise?  (Or really, what is my opinion on what one can do to become more precise?)

- Define the outcome up front.  Decide if accuracy or precision is required.
- Allow sufficient time and focus for the decided outcome.  Precision is never accomplished in a rushed fashion.
- Have someone review your work.
- Re-review your work.  Maybe review it a third time.
- Have a clear line of sight on where the data supporting either assertion (accurate or precise) is coming from.
- Make a clear statement.
- Review after each event:  What went wrong?  What could have gone better?  Was I not precise enough?  Was I overly precise?  Did I really accomplish what I set out to do?

What say ye?  Accurate?  Or Precise?

6 comments:

  1. "What say ye? Accurate? Or Precise?"

    I'm not sure there's a single question here: your response should be based on the needs of the mission in question. "We're over central Cambodia" might be accurate, but "We're over Kampong Kdei" is precise.

    In other words, use accuracy when that's what is needed; use precision when it counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can sharpen an axe to the point it will cut wood, or to the point where you can shave your arm hair off with it. The question is, "What is the tool designed to do?" Is it worth being precise when any benefit is lost with the first swing of the axe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very good summary Reverend. Neither one fills the bill all the time - I have seen precision taken to the point that we make any progress forward, or accuracy that has missed some critical elements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also a good point, Pete. I am still, I fear, working out precisely (no pun intended) when to use which.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure why, but this kinda reminds me of the fact versus truth question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leigh, it is really a variation on the same thing (thanks, I have never heard that conundrum before but it is really the same). Facts and truth are sometimes very different things. In a way, it (along with accurate and precise) becomes both a question of what you are seeking to do and what your audience is willing to receive.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!