Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Learning Online: An Update

Oddly enough, this attempt to learn new things has kind of gotten a hold of me.

I am taking "Principles of Analytical Chemistry" - yes, I know what you are thinking:  "Have you lost your mind?  This is first thing you start with?  There was not anything more interesting or relevant to your life that this is what you started with?"

Let us just say that I am filling in a very old knowledge gap that needs to be rounded out.

Here is the odd thing: I find that I am kind of enjoying it (yes, even this dusty, dreary subject).

In terms of practice, it is not more than 20-25 minutes a day, which means I am completing a lecture every two days.  So the time investment is not burdensome.  But I forgot - until now - how much taking in new knowledge.

On a side note, the lecture format - at least this lecture format - works for me.  But then again this is not a class designed for the InterWeb (which I do not do so well at), rather a class that has been recorded and is available on the InterWeb.  There seems to be a difference.  And for regular classes, I am okay - I was always very good at going to school.

What is that point of all of this, you may ask - after all, this knowledge will bring you up to the level of all your coworkers (science based industry and all) and indeed, after this you will know as much as a high school freshman (or maybe an eighth grader - they teach it earlier now).  It will not make my life better in any discernible way.  I will not get a degree or credit for doing it, and it will never show up directly in my body of work.

But it is knowledge - and knowledge is something that is always valuable, sometimes even if it is not apparent at the time.

And for me, the other aspect is simply the act of doing it.  It is the discipline of getting up 5 days a week and siting down and learning.  And discipline itself is always the ultimate reward.

4 comments:

  1. I’d be curious as to what you are actually learning TB. Not to slag what you are going or anything!

    I’m curious because My technical background was fairly heavy in analytical instrumentation 100 years ago so I only know enough about chemistry to be dangerous. But I do know that field can take up a lifetime of full time study at the university level.

    It’s fascinating because it seems that as the science progresses it starts getting ever more ‘merged’ with physics. When they start with stuff like metallic hydrogen and a white board full of numbers and Greek letters my eyes just glaze over. There as a time I might have followed along... but now? Fat chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glen, literally it is basic chemistry. Right now we are doing light and matter as waves and particles. It really is beginner level stuff (if they do beginner level at MIT). We will see how much I retain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say "More power to you", if that is what you want to start with. :)

    I've read that so many colleges (and universities?) have to offer basic courses now because students learn so little in grade school.
    But that's not to say that what you are learning is simple by any reason.

    Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is true Linda - in some cases companies are having to do the same thing because of the quality of students coming out of college.

    I am wondering when we will see the tilt towards this kind of educational model.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!