Sunday, November 18, 2018

Fellowship In The Gospel

"I have to learn that the aim in life is God's not mine.  God is using me from His great personal standpoint, and all He asks of me is that I trust Him, and never say - Lord, this gives me such heartache.  To talk that way makes me a dog.  When I stop telling God what I want, He can catch me up for what He wants without let or hindrance.  He can crumple me up or exalt me, He can do anything He chooses.  He simply asks me to have implicit faith in Himself and in His goodness.  Self-pity is of the devil; if I go off on that line I cannot be used by God for His purpose in the world.  I have "a world within a world" in which I live, and God will never be able to get me outside it because I am afraid of being frost bitten."

- Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest

4 comments:

  1. "I have to learn that the aim of in life is God's not mine.
    Is there a word missing here that would help me understand this better?

    But it is good. And so very true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you are right Linda. The quote is "I have to learn that the aim in life is God's not mine." I"ll fix that. That said, I suspect that it does not make the quote any easier (for me, at least). I can comprehend the meaning - that my purpose in life is to be completely and totally God's, not mine - but I have problem actuating this on a daily basis. I am very much wrapped up in my own agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect a good many of us have that problem, TB.
    That is when I thank God for His mercy, and for loving me when I often find it hard to love myself.

    Prayer is the best way forward in these instances, I think TB.
    You all have a blessed Thanksgiving. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda. I find I am praying a great deal. A good Thanksgiving to you as well!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!