Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Election Day 2018, Or Why This Election Changes Nothing

Dear Friends:

Today the 2018 Midterm Elections occur in the United States (to my ex-US friends, my sincere apologies as I fear it may have taken over your news feed as much as it has taken over our own.  I can only hope this is a minor inconvenience).  By the end of the evening, we will largely know the structure of the United States Congress for the next two years.

There are one of three outcomes of this election:

1)  The party not currently in power gains power.
2)  The party currently in power strengthens its majority.
3)  There is a status quo with some seats changing hands but the balance of power at or near what it is.

In none of these solutions is there a true resolution to the ills of this state.

1)  The party not in currently in power gains power - for the next two years, there will be an inability to get any legislation passed (and multiple calls for impeachment, our version of "Replace the President before an election").  The opposition base becomes more motivated.

2) The party currently in power strengthens its majority - look for the opposition party to increase the rhetoric and unrest to continue to grow as they are motivated.

3)  There is a status quo with some seats changing hands but the balance of power at or near what it is - More of the same of the last two years.

In none of the above possible outcomes is a true unity possible.  And this is the real problem of the state.  We are tearing ourselves apart - politely (more or less) now, but more violently as we go forward.

I have been thinking of a solution where the nation emerges stronger and more united from an election, not weaker.  I cannot think of one.

I have been arguing (for years now) that the only reasonable and rationale way forward is to separate into our respective corners before we do it by force.  And I see nothing coming out of this election that will change any of that.

Sadly, I fear national unity - or at least respect for one's fellow citizens, even of a different belief - has ended.  We shall not see its like again in our lifetimes.

7 comments:

  1. Don't forget that if the lib/commies get power, our takes go back up. Miners will be out of work again, and all the business gains will come to a screeching halt as dems reinstitue all the strangling regulations.

    Illegal "immigration" will run rampant, and the civil unrest will continue.

    Anyone who believes Killary meant what she said about them being "civil" if they win, is being deluded. (But I do not believe you are delusional.)

    Once blackmail wins, it will continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. That should have been "Our taxes go back up.
    Sorry. Cell phone can't read my thoughts, I guess.

    Anyway. God bless you all, TB, on this voting day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, it truly seems like a choice of quickly we end up approaching the abyss, not when. I do believe that should the Democrats win the economy will end up doing much poorly - I will be honest, I am beginning to question why I work so hard to have 1/5 of my income (one day a week) go to the government.

    Still, the real thing we need - national unity - will continue to elude us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, wonder if we will ever get national unity again. Unless something drastic happens, I don't see it happening, either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, not outside (literally) an Act of God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, it seems to me that politics has become nothing more than a giant "King of the Hill" game. It has nothing to do with governing or problem solving. It only matters who's in "power."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leigh, I was talking with my youngest this evening and yes, that is exactly what it has become. Principals are nothing; power, and the ability to impose your will, is everything.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!