Tuesday, July 03, 2018

Trying A Different Style Of Writing

Over the last few weeks I have been experimenting with a different sort of writing process:  instead of writing things every day, I have been writing them for a full week at one sitting.

The past few months have been rather busy, with work becoming more and more of a time consuming machine (followed by the catch up at home).  What I found is that the quality of my output was not really rising to my satisfaction and I was stressing out about creating the next day's article.  Writing had become not fun any more.  And when something is not fun, it needs to be reviewed and either changed or discarded.

Now, I write on Sunday afternoons for the whole week.  I have started to put things into buckets as well:  A Few Words on Saturdays, God Thoughts on Sunday, etc.  I found that this format relieves my stress of "what will I write about?" as well as giving me the ability to look out into the world and have a little fun.

Thanks for your patience.  Hopefully this will result in me producing a better product and enjoying the process of creating as I used to.

2 comments:

  1. Writing definitely needs to be enjoyable. Interesting how you've analyzed and experimented with your writing time. I'm sure it will make a goodly difference every which-away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leigh! Of all the things I have done, I have stuck with few as long as I have with writing. And yes, making enjoyable makes it better. I do not know this will be a forever thing - I can tell you that being not in the work environment creates better ideas and more luxury of thought - but for now, I feel like it is the best way to make sure I write at my best.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!