Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Not A Finisher

One of the things my current job has brought crashing down on my head is that I am not a finisher.

Oh, I am a starter, I love to start things.  There is nothing more invigorating or energizing that to start something new.  There is always something to learn and a sense of excitement at the beginning.  And then, of course, everything starts to fizzle.

Work has only exacerbated the deficiency.  Now I am not turning away from something because I get bored.  In fact, quite the contrary:  I turn away from something because five other things arise to take its place (really, no joke.  It is five.  At least.).  And, of course, I find myself getting farther and farther behind because I cannot get the items I am currently working on accomplished, let alone undertake something new.

I am trying to understand where the underlying flaw lies. I am pretty sure I am the original root cause of the problem, but why am I the root cause.  Am I loosing interest?  Am I not doing the highest level tasks first?  Am I bouncing from item to item without finishing any single one, leaving a trail a mile wide and an inch deep - because why?  Or even worse, is it simply that I lack the coping mechanisms to deal with the amount of work that seems to be coming at me?

Probably all of them, to be honest.  I am not sure.  What I am grasping, though, is that I need to figure out why it is happening and significantly change how I am doing something.  It is not just something I can work my way out of with hours (trust me, I am close to 10 hours a day now and am looking at the computer coming home with me two or three times a week) because I will burn out long before I actually can afford to. 

Mayhap I need to become more ruthless in how I spend my time in accomplishing my tasks - even if I have to become a work hermit to do it.

4 comments:

  1. Ya sure it's you, TB?

    I've had employers overload me and then accuse me of not using my time effectively. For me that is grounds for justifiable homicide and I let them know (bluntly) that I won't put up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a hard one. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is at least partially me Glen. I sometimes have the attention span of....Hey! A Squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Linda. I am trying to give this some thought and rationality.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!