Thursday, January 25, 2018

Removing The Modifier

Today, I suffered a fit of almost rage at work.  Yes, I removed the modifier from my verb.  To an e-mail to a vendor.

I initially wrote "I am little bit frustrated that at the amount of time this has taken".  And then I looked at it.  And thought about it.

On the whole, I try to be very polite in my communications, especially with people outside of my company.  Yelling in the e-mail never accomplishes anything but only makes you look silly (and exists forever in the ether) and possibly like a jerk.  So I sat there and looked at it.

And realized that I was not just a little frustrated. I was frustrated.  Frustrated that it was going to take two months to schedule someone on site.  Frustrated that I had a piece of equipment I could not use (but had paid for, of course). Frustrated that timelines were going to be pushed (again).

So looked at it again. And pulled out "a little bit".  Voila.  I was just frustrated.

If you know me (or have read my writing for any period of time), you know this is the equivalent  of me either typing in capitals (which I find rude and almost always uncalled for) or actually writing !@*$*%%.  It is that severe.  I almost never raise my voice in anger and certainly never write anything in anger (hard won lesson, that).  On the whole, I try to engage in solving the problem.  But occasionally even I lose my temper.

The outcome?  The item will be dealt with in 1.5 weeks, not in 4 weeks as originally set up.

Look out world.  Who knows? I may start using adverbs...

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. When I have to write a "strong" email, I write it all the way I want with the "F" words and all...walk away, take them out, walk away then change it again. You're right because "angry" emails and Caps serve only to make people avoid you! Good going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done that as well Rain - and I am always very sure to put neither an address nor a title in so I do not inadvertently send it (this has almost happened more than once...).

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!