Thursday, February 20, 2014

Metrics for God

I am trying to work out some kind of metrics for God in my life.

As I am working to get my life in order a.k.a. "Trying to get direction and leadership in my life" I realized that I am getting things backwards. I am trying to put things in first and shoehorn God in around the edges.  I realized this morning as I was praying that this does not accord with passages such as "Commit your plans to the Lord and He will establish them" (Proverbs 16:3)  and "Seek ye first His kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you" (Matthew 6:33"?

Am I seeking God first?  Am I seeking His kingdom and His righteousness first?  Am I committing my plans to Him, or am I huddling in my world, trying to make things work the way I want them to and hoping that they accord with God's will - but not really knowing if I am getting better or if I am more closely conforming with it?

So are there metrics that one could generate for a relationship with God, the same as one would generate for any other sort of activity or action?  It could not be solely based on time spent, because that is not a true indicator of spiritual life - yet without time spent and an amount of time that is growing, one can argue that this is not progress.

Is it giving?  I should be growing in my tithing, yet again money is no indicator of a growing relationship with God and could simply indicate I am keeping score.

Is it service?  Here again it should be something that is increasing as I serve God more actively - but again, it can become another number that makes me feel good but really indicates nothing.

So what is it?  What is the metric that will show that I am increasing in my walk with God

A couple of thoughts:

- It has to be life related.  There has to be something in my life, some evidence that I am growing or changing.

-  It needs to be measurable.  Although everything I have listed is a number, none the less what we are discussing needs to able to be tracked and measured against something.

I wonder if such a metric is both time and effort related:  not only how much time I am spending with God or on God but how much I am growing and increasing in those areas such as tithing, prayer, service?  And what about growth in holiness?  Is this something I could track, even in such simple ways as how much less time I am spending in certain activities or with certain people?

And as a family - are we doing the same thing?  Are we becoming demonstrably more Christlike, or less?  Do we look more like the world or more like Christ?

Not any definitive answers and maybe I will have to think harder.  But ultimately here is the item all Christians should be shooting for:  can I show I am growing in Christ?  And how can I know that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!