Tuesday, March 14, 2023

The Unexpected Event: An English Homestead

 For some years now I have been a follower and admirer of Kev Alviti who posts over at An English Homestead.  Kev is a woodworker by trade and posts about his and his family's journey on the road to self-reliance (as well as some pretty amazing woodworking projects).  They live in England (somewhere in England, my geography on these things is always so vague), so much of what he posts is familiar to me in a historical sense - it is grand to see it put into practice.  He also has a YouTube channel where he shares things as well (and it is well worth following/subscribing to both).

This week, his post was not on self reliance or a project rather upon his family dealing with his oldest daughters' onset of Type 1 Diabetes.  The link is here; I commend it to your attention.  His words are far better than mine and heartfelt, the heartfelt words of a father that is horribly surprised by something unexpected, out of his control, and that no matter how much he wants to, cannot be fixed.

It is a good and timely reminder (at least for myself) that even in the great storms of the Age - war, wild weather, economic turmoil, roof leaks - there are stories just like his family's that occur around us every day that in their way are just as disruptive as a major event, but never reach the consciousness of many beyond those in their immediate circle.  

I am sure Kev and his family would appreciate all the kind thoughts and prayers you can send their way.

10 comments:

  1. One of the fascinating things about the blogosphere is how it develops a sense of community. I was quite concerned when I read the title of Kev's post in my blogger reading list yesterday. And I'm uplifted by your thoughtful request for kind thoughts and prayers. It's a blessing to be a part of such a caring community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh - Kev is one of my favorite bloggers, not only for the wealth of information he shares but his just his overall view on life, practicing what he preaches, and his willingness to share his family life with us. He is only ever positive in what he writes. So I was just as concerned as you were when I read the title of his post. His post alleviated that concern (slightly), but still - what a thing to suddenly find out.

      This is exactly what The Social Internet/Blogosphere is supposed to be for - sharing of information and sharing of people's lives, not the uses that it often gets put to.

      Delete
  2. Nylon126:41 AM

    Echoing Leigh with a "Roger that" TB, prayers will be on their way. Did read his post yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nylon12. You can just read the devastation in his words. I am grateful he is able to write honestly - his is not the only case, but like a lot of things I fear we do not really think of it until it comes home for us.

      Delete
  3. Prayers indeed. I'm at a loss for words as I know the technology and its limits.

    I pray the whole family has a solid relationship with God for a lot of things are in His hands. I can see the solid relationship of that family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. It is joy to read of the updates with his family. His blog is truly one of the great positive lights on the InterWeb.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the links. It seems like a blog I would enjoy reading, especially the woodworking part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Ed. I seldom offer money-back guarantees on this blog (or in real life, for that matter), but I am 100% sure that you will find a kindred spirit in Kev. His woodworking is amazing.

      His YouTube channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/@englishhomestead

      Delete
  5. I was thinking as Leigh. You are a thoughtful friend, TB. I've read the post and yes... I was impressed with Kev's attitude - which I'm sure encourages his daughter as she learns to live with this. Now that Kev and his blog are on my radar, I'm thinking I'll be checking in to see what he's up to. I just watched his video of planting hundred's of trees on a berm on his property. A happy, industrious fellow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, I think most of that comes from my mother and maternal grandmother. They are/were both incredibly kind hearted people. And being a father myself, I can hear Kev's agony in his words.

      I 100% endorse his blog. He is an engaging fellow that seems to keep endlessly busy and happily shares his knowledge.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!