Wednesday, March 04, 2020

Work Likes and Work Dislikes

If you will humor me for a moment, I would like to give some thought to things that I like and things that I do not like in the work environment.  This matters, of course, because I am about to have to undergo an exercise in deciding what I want to do - or have to do - next.

What I like:

- Writing
- Interacting with people on a personal level
- Planning (in the vague, blue sky sense)
- Spreadsheets
- Talking through problems
- Working alone or with a few people
- Explaining things

What I do not like:
- Managing people
- Commanding people (instead of interacting with people)
- High levels of stress.
- A rapidly changing environment that I have to consistently and quickly adapt to repeatedly
- Moving immediately to solutions instead of vetting things
- Being in a reporting structure where my opinion is theoretically wanted, but the expectation is that I really am going to do what I am told.
- Meetings (I have come to loathe meetings)


Initially looking at this list, it appears that management or working in a corporate environment is not really for me.  Difficult, as that is where the bulk of jobs are.

Well, at least I know.

8 comments:

  1. Glenfilthie6:43 AM

    All those things you don’t like, are, in my opinion, signs of badly run companies. My worst jobs were those that were non-stop pressure cookers, where we went from fire to crisis and from crisis to disaster on a daily basis. The Crack (our boss) was never consistent and totally unpredictable. Last I saw of him, his hands shook, he lived in debilitating fear of losing his job and was wretched and miserable. His family life was in shambles. Bad jobs can kill you. I’ve seen it happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen, the non-stop pressure cooker - which is certainly what my current job feels like - is definitely not an environment designed to allow anyone to do their best.

      I firmly believe that bad jobs can kill you. So maybe this really is a blessing.

      Delete
  2. That's what I never liked about the military. All the managing. I preferred the doing.

    Guess you need to start your own small business, or move to self-reliant living.

    But I am sure the good Lord is showing you the way.
    God bless.🐰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, turns out I prefer doing as well.

      Short terms I still have my job, so that worry is off of my plate. Another option will present itself - and yes, I am pretty sure God is in this too.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6:09 PM

    "Being in a reporting structure where my opinion is theoretically wanted, but the expectation is that I really am going to do what I am told." Soooooo true. I've started giving up on even sharing my opinion; it's not considered, it's just a check box for them to cross off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure feels like that, does it not? The thing people do not realize is that this kind of environment actual kills anyone talking at all or giving their opinion, given enough time.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Thank you dear author of The Forty Five for giving us this very simple yet though provoking blog on the different likes and dislikes you have at work place. I should say, it is pretty much the same for every employee of a company. The dislikes can completely be eliminated only when one starts their own business or works in a light minded or well-organised company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      I would suspect that the likes are somewhat different from individual to individual - for example, I have friends that love statistics and data manipulation (me, not so much). But the dislikes are, I bet, universally shared.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!