Monday, March 30, 2020

The Plague: Update III

We are now settling in, I suppose, to what the "new normal" is for the foreseeable future.

Since my last fuel fill up on the Saturday previous, I have logged precisely 52  miles in a little over a week:  two trips to the Rabbit Shelter to volunteer (Huzzah, we are considered an essential service and I have received my letter) and a single trip to the office for a teleconference that was better done there than at home.  52 miles in 9 days.  My average 7 days of driving usually pushed me into the 170-180 mile range.  This week, of course, it will be less as there will be no trip to the office and a single trip to shelter.

The house is slowly getting a complete cleaning and reorganization, thanks largely to Nighean Bhean (Middle) and her desire to make sure that everything is organized.  Multiple rooms have been gone through and we are migrating out to the garage.  I expect by the time we are done there will be a great deal less material located in this house (I also suspect that I am going to be much less interested or supportive of buying anything else - my first standard question may very well become "How long until we get rid of that?").

In reviewing the grocery store website for a shopping run today, The Ravishing Mrs. TB noted that our local grocery chain has put restrictions in place that were not present previously:  limits on all kinds of canned goods, rice, beans, and even frozen pizzas.  While part of me understands and appreciates this, the other part of me is concerned for what this might be saying:  we expect the current crisis to go on longer than expected and supplies to come in slower at some point.

One of the biggest problems I found with working from home is that it is much harder to turn work off.  Without effort, my days now run from 0730-1800 without any commute time and a 10 minute lunch.  Throttling back to a "normal" work day is my new challenge.

I am finding time for those sorts of things that I never really enjoyed or had time for, whether from a need to do something or just a realization that I am behind in such matters.  I have raked the front yard three times in two weeks now, the car is completely cleaned and the headlamps readjusted, and all bicycle tires now pumped up to full strength.  At this rate, I will end up going through every drawer as well.

Our Iaijutsu class has restarted, but online.  We are using one of the conference calling tools.  It is certainly not the same as actually being "in" class, but it certainly beats having now training at all.

A final note:  For some time now I have been writing effectively "in advance" in order to make use of the time I had on Sunday and the (seeming) lack of time I had the rest of the week.  While this has been an effective tool for ensuring output, I also think that it has limited my overall thoughtfulness to some extent:  I can write a week's worth of posts in about two hours but I do not know if this represents my very best efforts.  To that end (and seeing how I now have the ability to make time), I am falling back to writing on a daily basis.  Apologies for what will likely be some rough patches as I make the transition.

I will note:  for a writer, semi-philosopher, and some level of thinker, there is no greater time to be alive than today.  Even if I do not fully understand all that is happening or where everything is headed, the ability and platform to observe, ponder, and write about it is a great gift.  In a very unreal and perhaps foolish way, this may be one of the greatest callings of my life.

6 comments:

  1. You're just starting to see rationing and shortages NOW? Wow; we've been dealing with this in the Wild, Wild, West for over a month now! We're allowed one of this, two of that. If you want more, you need to re-enter the store... and re-expose yourself to everyone else on a different day, ...or right after you leave the first time, load your car, and go back in... ...An empty toilet paper shelf is now referred to as being "wiped out..."

    I'm working from home as well. My property has had a persistent gopher problem since we moved in, much to the horror of my fruit trees. While I've been able to stay ahead of the rodents to some extent, they don't know what's happened lately, since I'm able to do "gopher patrols," set traps, and blow up tunnels pretty much every day, all day long. ...Yeah; I have a "Varmintgetter." It injects propane and oxygen into the tunnel, which is ignited with the press of a button... ...No more gopher, no more tunnel... That thing was surely the brainchild of men and beer...

    I'm finding the same dilemma, working from home; I'm never truly at work, and I'm never truly at home...

    Hey; look at the time... Gotta sort out my sock drawer!...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, my father has one of those units as well. Quite the handy thing.

      Yes, the line between "work" and "home" is now very blurred. I am struggling to make the switch. Makes me wish for an hourly job - at least you know when you are done!

      The Ravishing Mrs. TB finished her shopping today and said that overall things were more in stock although the past aisle was still wiped out.

      Think of how organized and clean we will be at the end of this!

      Delete
  2. I was disappointed to read the other day that the country will remain on coast until the end of April. We've been having some limits placed on items, I suspect because too many folks tend to buy it all up. The grocery stores weren't so bad last week as they were the week before.

    I have to agree that it's an amazing time to be living in. Especially for students of the Word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Leigh. Both disappointing (It seems that May 4th is the new date locally) and exciting (potential Scripture fulfilled in a way no-one imagined (Cell phones as The Mark? It is that way in China).

      Delete
  3. I expect the current crisis to go on; but I think they are wanting to stop what happened at the beginning. People created the crisis by buying to get items before they ran out.
    Kind of... I don't know. "Let's buy a hundred because there may not be any next week", never mind that the hundred creates that exact shortage.

    Your writing will come.

    Be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, if you do not know what your usage is and how much you need, you over react in a crisis. Which is exactly what is happening. The logic - your logic - eludes them.

      Thanks! I am hopeful for the writing as well.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!