Tuesday, March 03, 2020

A Plethora Of Things

Last week (before A Sort of Hammerfall happened), I was actually giving thought to the fact that I was reaching the limit of what I wanted in terms of things in life.

Two of my swords are getting refinished.  I am able to get a more formal black hakama and gi for Iai (along with my blue one).  My list of books to buy (I do keep a list) was down to the point that a single year could close it out.  I even bought myself an inexpensive pocket watch.  If I looked ahead to the next year, all that is "left" is completing one more sword, a cheese press, and going to Iai training.

Sure, there are always some small things that will come up (more books, for example).  But I came to the realization that most of my big purchases and purchasing days are behind me.

The thought took me by surprise.

For so long, life has consisted in the acquisition of things - things I want, things I need, things that would interest me.  Now, I am virtually at the end of that process (and with the potential change in income, probably more than virtually for a while).  It is an odd inflection point.

Yes, of course I understand that I will still "need" things. Cars do not last forever (although watch me push my 2010 Mazda to the edge of that statement), we still need groceries, even electronics break (he says, typing a way on a 6 year old computer with personality issues).  And there will be things I want.

But at this point, I would trade most money for two things:

1)  Living where I want to live, not where I have to live.
2)  Doing what I want to do and what interests me, not doing what I have to do that does not interest me.

In other words, I want my time and life back.  I am willing, at this point to take less money and things.

Oh, and books.  Still more books, please.

8 comments:

  1. Hope you can find a way to make it happen, TB. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, for the first time in a long time, I am confronted with the fact that circumstances may be changing beyond my control. Perhaps the reason this is happening is that God knows that without a push, I would do nothing.

      Delete
  2. I reached that point a while back, TB. One of my "hobbies" is yard sales. About a year ago, I realized how much "stuff" I had. I had a yard sale myself. I still went to yard sales, but became very discriminatory when it came to buying anything. If I didn't need it, I didn't buy it; no more "I might use this down the line." Also; no more "fixer-uppers." I have neither the time nor the desire to bring home someone else's broken stuff to fix. Indeed, there is enough of that kind of thing that already belongs to me!

    Like you, my time has become more valuable than money. I too want to live where I want to live, and do what I want to do. Ah, yes... I can dream; right?...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, I am going through my garage and my life like that with the same attitude. If I want something, I will buy it in good condition as my time and energy to "repair" things is limited. I have become surprisingly discriminating in my book purchases as well. I have a list I consult for what I want to buy - yes, there is still that random buy at the Used Book Store, but I have started asking harder questions of the books: Will I use you? Will I read you more than once? Or will I read you and never look at you again?

      Yes, we can all dream, friend. And, in our own small ways, start working towards reality.

      Delete
  3. Great!! Precisely the things anyone would trade for money. But it is sad that, we all come to this realization way too late in life. I hope kids today would understand and start living their lives not only for survival but also because they have the right to live a life they want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, I think we at some point have this realization when we are young. I think it gets drilled out of us because we are taught to follow the system: go to college, get a degree, get a "good" job, buy stuff. It is only on the other side that we realize that we have somewhat fooled ourselves.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Stuck at home amidst a strict lockdown, I've also been reflecting about how much we actually need as opposed to how much we buy. I've only spent money on food and I'm comfortable in my pajamas all day long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VMC - It is odd and liberating, is it not? I dress because I am trying to keep some level of pattern in my life, but I am only wearing my Highland Games Shirt. I would definitely say that business casual is going to become my new go to attire.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!