Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Changing Diet And Lifestyle

My fellow curmudgeon Glen Filthie has reported that his doctor has stated that he is overweight, pre-diabetic, and possibly pre-cancerous.  

Welcome to your 50's.

I have to admit that I have been having my own struggles with being post-50.  My knee is giving me some problems, which seem tied to my thigh muscle.  Actually, both of my knees are grumping at me now for some reason.  And there is this lovely twinge in my back that has never been there before.

And yes, I feel overweight and certainly have diabetes in my family.  Thanks for the reminder, friend Glen (Do try the bebimbop.  You will love it).

It is a good reminder that I need to start changing things and how I do them.

My knees, I truly believe, are in large part due to an increase in my weight - I have put on about 10 lbs and some amount of it is muscle, but some is fat is well, or at least I have not lost the side handles that are attached.  No idea on the back, but who knows?  Maybe related as well.

So like Glen, I am going to have to change my diet and my lifestyle.

No clear ideas yet, just a sense that I need to do it.  After all, with care and management I still have probably 30 good years left in me (or like my great grandmother, another 47).  Time to get busy.

6 comments:

  1. A man with your fortitude has nothing to worry about TB, you will do fine.

    Getting started is the hardest part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay away from wheat. It is inflammatory. It is hard to find something in a can, box or ready to eat has wheat added as a 'filler'. And our food from the stores are deficient in the nutrients we need. Consider this... the farmers are putting synthetic fertilizers on their lands because their land is deficient, then all the 'nutrients' that the plants are taking from the synthetic fertilizers is synthetic in itself. So we are getting empty foods.

    But fresh out of the oven homemade bread with a slab of butter sure is hard to avoid! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take a look at susanbranch.com - healthy eating. It's fun to read and she does seem to have a simpler way to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Glen! It is not the fortitude, it is the ability to persevere that sometimes eludes me. That said, we will both have continue, shall we not? If for not other reason than to bring despair to our detractors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hobo, it is a good reminder. I like to think I eat less wheat than I probably do. Oatmeal is my go to breakfast food and I seldom have pasta or other direct wheat items, but you are correct - it is often a filler. A good reminder to check my labels.

    And yes, fresh bread with a slab of butter is hard to resist. So I limit myself to toast and butter one day a week, mostly Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth, thanks so much for stopping by and thank you for the suggestion! I went to website briefly - what a fun looking site. I will peruse this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!