Tuesday, August 07, 2018

On Cleaning Out: An Update

Cleaning out the stuff in one's life is a great deal more complicated than I had anticipated.

Part of it, I suppose, is that I lack a methodical plan of action.  I have tended to only do it in spurts or in particular areas rather than going through drawer by drawer, rack by rack, room by room, and evaluating things that I have for that area rather than letting my concerns run hither and yon. 

Another point of personal contention has simply been what to keep and dispose of.  I do not yet seem to have a clear idea of the next years hold and where we will ultimately end up; this makes planning for that somewhat difficult - and makes me reluctant to get rid of anything that might someday be of some use.

 But I am taking another stab at it - after all, the world is not getting any saner and clearing out my life has the benefit of clearing my head, if nothing else.

What does that look like?  Smaller chunks of action - literally taking a drawer and going through it and being okay with that being only thing I do.  Or setting a goal of one thing thrown away and one to the donation pile, or two things thrown away or two things donated.

Another exercise which seems helpful is to take a room, look at what it is in it, and question everything in the room.  For example, I am currently sitting in a living room where the only things of "mine" are books, a piano, a weight set, and a kettlebell.  The books are staying (of course) as is the piano and the kettlebell (for now).  The weights are posted on Craigslist.

Will I get where I want to be?  Not really, at least not until I truly find out where we will end up.  But at least I can begin the hard work of figuring out what I am not going to drag behind m.

2 comments:

  1. We have been working on that for a year or so, now. Between not making time, and thinking 'the last time I tossed something like this, I needed it a week later', we haven't gotten far, either.
    But we did donate some clothes, so I guess that counts for something.

    Good luck and God bless, TB! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does, Linda - and that whole "We will need it in a year" is the thing that always keeps me tied to them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!