Thursday, February 23, 2017

New Iaito

There is nothing quite as grand as getting a package from a foreign country - in this case, Japan:

It is my iaito, or training sword.  It is a sword which is blunt and the blade of alloy but crafted to the standards of a traditional Japanese sword and in the correct length - in my case, 2.8 shaku (32") of blade for my school.


This is first - and only time- you will see this knot.  I can never recreate it:



The fuchi (ornament at the end of the hilt, or tsuka) and the kashira (or pommel) both have grain:



The menuki (ornaments under the hilt warp, or tsuka-itto, which are used to help grasp it) are rabbits!




The tsuba (guard) is some flame looking thing that reminds me of Buddhist texts of the underworld:


The hamon (line) where traditionally clay is placed before it is fired to create the differential steel is particularly fine:





It even comes with its own "imitation sword" certificate - quite necessary when taking it to Japan (so you can get it in and leave the country with it).


I am very happy with my purchase.  It has been a long wait to purchase (4 years) and will undoubtedly give me many years of good service (at this point, it is safe to assume I am in it for the long haul..).

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a BEAUTIFUL sword TB...the craftsmanship is so wonderful. Congratulations on your purchase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rain! I am uncommonly pleased with it.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!