Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Building A Gate: Setting The Gate

So when we last left our hero, he was staring at posts without a gate:


First this was to add boards to the outer posts:




Next it was gate building time:  First job is to lay out the frame:



Next I lay the fence boards out and start attaching them.  Screws and a power drill make it go quickly:




 I debate about doing a cross bracing - but I have the wood,  why not?  How to cut it - a miter box, of course!


Attached, it looks quite professional.


Now I am ready to attach the gate - but find my first difficulty.  The hinge is supposed to go on the posts, not on the boards.  Now, the extra cost of the screws is a wise decision.  Simply unscrew them and the posts are exposed:



 Hinges attached:



 But now I have a separate problem:  The weight of the gate is all on one post:


I have to add two 6" 3/8" lag bolts to posts

Looking better:



And now the latch:


Whoops!  The latch is below the level of the cross beam:


Fortunately a little redneck engineering and we are moving forward again:


Rain gauge reattached to its old place:



And....a working gate! (but maybe not a working video - I cannot tell from the preview.  Apologies if it does not.



From the back:




So was it worth it?  The new fence to the side cost $25 a foot, plus disposal costs.  I had about $120 in materials into the project.  Total time was 11 hours - although to be fair, I was working alone and was not on a particular schedule.  The last 2 hours were the worst, as I had to do a series of readjustments to the cross beams and latch to make the gate close properly - that re-jiggering that tells you that you probably did something incorrectly.

So I probably saved a little money.  But like my adventure with the sink, the ultimate value here is not measured in time or money.  I have never before built a gate.  Oh, I have done parts of it, like post setting or building something from wood.  But I have never done something of this scope or this size on my own. And I did it - maybe not quite as cleaning as I had hoped for, but successfully.  So I can call someone if it happens again - but I also am content knowing that I could do it if I had to.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the yard:


Sigh.  Other neighbor is looking for fencing companies...

5 comments:

  1. Pretty well done, for a first complete effort. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Reverend. I have taken mental notes for next time. Probably need to sink my posts a little deeper, bolt them together before I attach the gate, push the hinges a little more to the right - things like that. Honestly, the thing I am most please with is that with the screws, it disassembles pretty easily in case I need to make repairs in the future.

      Delete
  2. tb = you did a fantastic job - i left you a comment on your previous post telling you as much but it disappeared.

    and yes - saving money is only part of the experience - the real reward is the satisfaction of doing it with your own two hand - you should be proud!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jam. That means a lot, coming from someone as handy as you are. I am relatively proud - although I am already critiquing what I could done better. Certain builds the old self confidence muscle though.

      Delete
    2. And apologies on the disappearing comment. No clue what happened.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!