Monday, January 16, 2017

Winter Garden 2017 Update

One thing that this rather unusual winter has affected is my garden.  It has not faired well.

My pepper plants, which went through the last winter almost surprisingly since it was a mild one, were wiped out in the first freezing storm we had.  My leeks never really took, and my greens grew a few here in there - but they, too, were drastically affected by the recent down to 17 F we had last weekend.

The surprising failure are my grains.  I cannot quite tell, but it sure looks like the wheat and the barley are done for.  Not really sure what happened - too much heat or too much cold, too much sun or not enough - but they look dead and dying.  Rather disappointing.

The garlic, of course, is still performing like a champ.  The one (and only) thing I can seem to grow consistently.  And my onions, although having been knocked down by the cold, seem to be perking back up a bit.  I am hopeful.

The whole thing is a bit sad, of course - no-one likes to waste effort - but is an inconvenience at this stage.  But at least I have an understanding of the fact that it is an inconvenience.  For a great deal of people in this country, even knowing it is an inconvenience would be news to them.  Food, of course, comes from a grocery store.

If we all knew how hard it actually is to grow food, we might take more care in how we use it and support more generously those who provide it.

Or, we can all hope we can make it on garlic...

2 comments:

  1. "If we all knew how hard it actually is to grow food, we might take more care in how we use it and support more generously those who provide it"

    no truer words were ever said.

    except for your words about garlic. remember - garlic will always keep away vampires. and you can make garlic soup, garlic salad, garlic with grass, garlic with mud....you can pretty much eat garlic with anything. and it will keep you strong and healthy.

    keep on trying TB! it is only people who try that ever succeed! and you are succeeding!

    sending you much love as always! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kymber. I do love garlic - I just need to protein to go with it!

      And thanks for the words of encouragement. Every season I am out there trying something new. Eventually something will stick.

      Much Love, TB

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!