Friday, March 21, 2014

Foregoing Facebook

So I'm thinking about taking a Facebook break.

I like Facebook.  I have been able to meet and catch up with a number of wonderful people.  I get to see pictures, I get to post pictures, I get to laugh and cry and support others - and get support.

But two things have come to my mind recently.

The first is that Facebook is becoming a crutch for me in the sense that if fills that need I have for approval.  How many times do I check on my phone or at home a day to see if any one has responded to my comments or mentioned me in a post?  Answer:  A lot.  A lot more than I should be.

The second is a lot more prosaic.  I once again veered closely towards engaging in a politico/religious/ethical commentary.  I have learned long ago that such things never truly go well.  One never convinces another on Facebook of the rightness or wrongness of a position.  All one does is create arguments, raise one's blood pressure, and alienate others.

And so, a foregoing.  Perhaps not a total foregoing - I find that people have been uplifted by my posting of inspirational quotes. And certainly the picture function is useful for family and friends who are not here.  But beyond that, time to take a break.  Make my entries and leave.

It is a little crazy to me that I am having the conversation with myself at all.  5 years ago I had barely heard of Facebook - now, I find myself having to tear myself away from it.

But it is so much about me and my - what do people think about my posting, my picture, my thoughts.  Are they paying attention to me?  At this time of the Christian calendar called Lent, is this not another way that we can somehow deny ourselves?

It seems - to pick up on yesterday's posting - that I have a problem.  Time to deal with it now.

2 comments:

  1. I have a facebook page. I think I checked it last over a year ago. A little secret most don't know about me is most of my oldest friends are flaming, screaming Liberals who would be devastated if they knew my real political beliefs. I don;t really have much contact with them anymore but I am not going to tarnish our past memories with pissing em off now so I just stay away from facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In some ways that is where I find myself as well. It is interesting how much difference 30 years and life experience can make. And, as I always have to remind myself, you will never win an argument over the internet.

    I will probably still post things like pictures of family, activities, etc. - it is a good way to keep in contact with people that are far away. Still, a little less is not going to hurt my life at all - in fact, I end up with more found time. That is not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!