Monday, February 13, 2012

Cold and Rainy

One of those cold mornings that you wish you could stay in bed.

The rain last night was an extension of yesterday: a morning temperature of 34 F, followed by sleet at 1300. We spent the rest of the cocooning in the house, avoiding the bitter cold (high of 41 F).

And then the night came.

I woke up this morning at around 0200 and 0345 to hear the rain hitting the roof and overflowing the gutter in front our bedroom which, no matter how hard I try to clean it out, continues to gather leaves and become clogged, becoming a stream right outside our bedroom window (but, I suppose, helpfully letting me know when it's raining hard). It was raining when I finally plunged myself out of bed at 0500; it is raining now as I write.

Outside temperature: 37 F (feels like 32 F!).

I sit inside at the computer and continue to gulp down my cup of hot coffee, then go to the back door and check the weather again. The blast of cold air and the dripping of the rain on my water storage barrels tells me that in spite of my wishes, the weather has not magically changed. I come back to the computer and have another shot of coffee, randomly thinking that the commute will not be pleasant this morning and mentally changing what I was going to wear to work.

Part of me is simply grateful for the rain, no matter what the temperature. We've had a hard summer this year and little enough rain so far, so anything - even when it comes with near freezing temperatures - is to be welcomed.

But there is another part - a part which, for the most part, is corralled in the back of my mind - which wishes that, for one day, it could simply convince me to "pretend" I never heard an alarm or thought that Monday was a holiday, turn off the computer and the lights, and head back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!