Friday, July 17, 2009

Planning

We're starting to enter the home stretch of the relocation: Home lease - check; home sale ongoing - check; moving date set - check; kid's school - check; new church - ongoing.

It's the last little details that are starting to come up that are of themselves minor, but are seeming to bother me: bank, reliable mechanic, exactly what way am I going to get to work, where's the best place to shop based on where we are, a new church (again) - those things that in some ways I need to have an idea about before everyone else gets here.

I say last little, but they seem not to be little in my mind - I guess because I want to make the right choice the first time instead of making choices which are not as good and/or convenient. Because I've made those choices before, only to find out that once we were in a place, they really weren't the best or most convenient choices.

Planning. So much of life is about planning, thinking ahead instead of just reacting as things come into place. I look back now, especially now that I am working with individuals 10-15 years younger than I am, and I suddenly realize all the time and effort that I have wasted. It's a sad thing - you see individuals whose lives in their mid-twenties still revolve around X-Box or Wii and you want to scream "Do you realize how precious your time in life is? Why are you wasting it on things that are of no value?" to which they nod, smile at you in that sort of "Oh-You're-an-old-person" way and continue on with what their doing.

Planning. Efficiency. The older you get, the more you realize there is less and less time to waste.

2 comments:

  1. Just remember don't feel too much pressure in making the final decision on a home church. It may just take awhile and you may find one and then God may say, no I think I want you over here..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm trying to be careful on this. There's some incentive to go where the girls will being going to school, but I have come to value clear biblical based teaching above all, even my love of liturgy and worship. I want to be somewhere that I can dig in and be, not just somewhere I just go on Sundays and that's it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!