Thursday, September 04, 2008

Autumn

Sigh. It has been pointed out to me by Buttercup that I am somewhat too depressing of late, and I need to write something more "happy"...

So Autumn is here. I know it's not officially here, that we have another month or two of warm weather. But if you're a gardener, you know. The pumpkin and bean plants are starting to die off, and larger swaths of the garden are becoming bare earth, awaiting either the covering of fall grass for the the winter or seed coverage for the winter crops. Meanwhile, the fall produce of the garden - beans, pumpkins, dried corn - are preparing themselves for harvest.

It's a good time as a gardener as well because it is a re-energizing time. During the late summer, I become a little complacent: either the garden is producing or not, and either way I can't do anything like plant (kill current plants). Now I can begin to see the start of the next season, get out my seed catalogues and dream, rearrange the garden to hopefully be better put together and more productive next time.

The autumn sunlight hasn't come yet - that slightly hazy, faded feeling that indicates that fall is really here - but it's coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!