Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Building A Gate: Setting The Gate

So when we last left our hero, he was staring at posts without a gate:


First this was to add boards to the outer posts:




Next it was gate building time:  First job is to lay out the frame:



Next I lay the fence boards out and start attaching them.  Screws and a power drill make it go quickly:




 I debate about doing a cross bracing - but I have the wood,  why not?  How to cut it - a miter box, of course!


Attached, it looks quite professional.


Now I am ready to attach the gate - but find my first difficulty.  The hinge is supposed to go on the posts, not on the boards.  Now, the extra cost of the screws is a wise decision.  Simply unscrew them and the posts are exposed:



 Hinges attached:



 But now I have a separate problem:  The weight of the gate is all on one post:


I have to add two 6" 3/8" lag bolts to posts

Looking better:



And now the latch:


Whoops!  The latch is below the level of the cross beam:


Fortunately a little redneck engineering and we are moving forward again:


Rain gauge reattached to its old place:



And....a working gate! (but maybe not a working video - I cannot tell from the preview.  Apologies if it does not.


video

From the back:




So was it worth it?  The new fence to the side cost $25 a foot, plus disposal costs.  I had about $120 in materials into the project.  Total time was 11 hours - although to be fair, I was working alone and was not on a particular schedule.  The last 2 hours were the worst, as I had to do a series of readjustments to the cross beams and latch to make the gate close properly - that re-jiggering that tells you that you probably did something incorrectly.

So I probably saved a little money.  But like my adventure with the sink, the ultimate value here is not measured in time or money.  I have never before built a gate.  Oh, I have done parts of it, like post setting or building something from wood.  But I have never done something of this scope or this size on my own. And I did it - maybe not quite as cleaning as I had hoped for, but successfully.  So I can call someone if it happens again - but I also am content knowing that I could do it if I had to.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the yard:


Sigh.  Other neighbor is looking for fencing companies...

5 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Pretty well done, for a first complete effort. :)

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Thanks Reverend. I have taken mental notes for next time. Probably need to sink my posts a little deeper, bolt them together before I attach the gate, push the hinges a little more to the right - things like that. Honestly, the thing I am most please with is that with the screws, it disassembles pretty easily in case I need to make repairs in the future.

jambaloney said...

tb = you did a fantastic job - i left you a comment on your previous post telling you as much but it disappeared.

and yes - saving money is only part of the experience - the real reward is the satisfaction of doing it with your own two hand - you should be proud!!!

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Thanks Jam. That means a lot, coming from someone as handy as you are. I am relatively proud - although I am already critiquing what I could done better. Certain builds the old self confidence muscle though.

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

And apologies on the disappearing comment. No clue what happened.