Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Returning To Work 2020

Friends - First of all, I must beg your forbearance for my continued lack of follow up on comments - my computer seems to be out of sorts, forcing me to reinstall entire programs (if you can believe this, I am currently in Explorer because Opera will not allow me to respond to your issues).  Indulge me, I seem to have found a way forward again.

Returning to work has been both easy and hard - easy in that I finally have a team in place that more than dealt with all of the issues that came up (although I did still have 361 e-mails to roll through); difficult in that everything absolutely just hits you in the face upon your return.

It is hard as well, because being away - truly away, without any contact or knowledge of what has been going on in your absence, brings perspective.

Perspective can be a dangerous thing.  Yes, it allows us to see things for what they truly are.  But it also has us ask the question "Why?" a great deal more than if we are constantly in the mix of things.  It also gives us a wider view, helping us - me, anyway - to look at something in the context of the larger set of activities that is Life.

I met with my friend in another department for coffee this morning, as we have met for the last year once a week.  He is seriously considering another job opportunity.  We walked through the various reasons why one would want to leave or stay.  As I listened to him, what I heard buried beneath his questions and concerns was  need and desire to be and feel useful.  That, I suggested, was the thing that he needed to listen to - whether he stayed or went.  That was what he was really looking for.

What am I really looking for?  That is the question, is it not?  It is certainly not more money - more money helps, to be sure, but at least one study suggests that maximum happiness from income is achieved around $70,000 - and I exceeded that a long time ago.  Nor is it necessarily this career field - yes, I am doing good work, but it is not work that comes from passion but rather from necessity.

Nor is it necessarily purposeful work - at least in the way most use that word.  My work may have purpose, just not a larger application.

Yes, perspective can be a dangerous thing.  More and more, I discover what I do not wish to do.

And even that may be termed progress.

6 comments:

  1. Yannow I went through my whole career and never found out what I wanted to do. I just had a series of jobs and never any real 'career'. My relationship with employers was that they didn't own me, they only rented my services, and when we conflicted on that - my services were withdrawn and I moved on. Sometimes I wonder if I missed anything.

    Put out your fires TB! Good to see ya back again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glen, I am working on reconciling myself to the fact that this will probably be true for me as well e.g. I will never do a job that I am truly passionate about. Which, as you say, is maybe okay and perhaps the way the world works -after all, it does ensure that I can change jobs if needed instead of being always married to one.

    It is good to be back, thank you. Am working on beating down the fires.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think so too, Linda. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good that you have a team--real stress reducer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is Deb - nice to know I can unplug and things continue on.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!