Tuesday, February 04, 2020

I Wonder

I wonder
if the directions we choose in life
are the ones that we would choose again,
given the opportunity.

If in reviewing the collage of your life,
would there be that thing 
that you would choose to do
or not do?

Knowing that if you made that choice,
all else that came after would be different
in ways you could never appreciate
looking at it from now.?

We look out from the vantage point
of always assuming that we could have chosen better,
done better,
righted the wrong,
or not made the mistake.

But truly, 
could we do any better?

4 comments:

  1. And if you changed it; would it really be for the better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so impressed, I copied and pasted it into a text and sent it to my wife to read. She thought that I had written it for some reason.

    Looking in the rear view mirror... I wouldn't have had a child. At the very least, I would have removed certain influences from her life. And mine. I would have parted with certain people amiably rather than with anger and acrimony. My wife said that doing so me have just put me in front of a different bus, and maybe so... but then my shortcomings would have been mine and mine alone, and spared others from the consequences of them. Maybe in the next life...?

    Hope you are enjoying the vacation, TB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda - We can never know, can we? We like to believe we can, but we can never know the ending of the stories we never finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Glen! You must be a poet indeed, if my crude scrawls can be confused for yours!

    It is hard, because the decisions we made make us the people we are. And to your wife's point, we just relocate from impact location to impact location. I would like to believe that choosing to completely leave the industry and working at The Firm was a decision that could have been made differently (certainly buying the new house was not good), but in the end (from history) I would have been laid off anyway, and then what?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!