Thursday, August 04, 2016

On Becoming A Low Information Voter

After careful consideration, I have decided to become a low information voter.

Why?  Trying to be a high information voter does not pay.  Keeping track of all those troubling facts and figures, trying to actual figure out where my convictions actually fit with the candidates (if at all), and - worst of all - figuring out a way to convey that in the general population is, quite frankly, tiring.  And depressing.

Much better to be someone that simply makes their mind up and then refuses to pay attention.  No need to review facts or figures or reasoned arguments - I have decided who I am voting for and for goodness sake, I am surely not going to change that.

Imagine the millions of dollars (well, tens of dollars in my case as I am pretty media free) that we could save our political system by no longer needing to be pandered to propaganda and campaign ads.  Move to the  next person, thank you very much:  no need to waste your valuable time or money on me.

I have already made my mind up.

Maybe I will try to become a higher information voter for local elections, as those I might actually care about.  Maybe.

But honestly, can we not all agree that actual reasoned voting is just too difficult for the average American voter?  So many act as high information voters (highly educated in many cases) but when, presented with evidence to the contrary on the candidate or policy of their choice, simply turn their heads aside and follow the great glowing light.

Perhaps we have simply reached the point where the responsibility of a republic of responsible people is simply beyond us.

6 comments:

  1. A vast majority of people now simply want to be fed and entertained (bread and circuses). Our "leaders" have wasted no time picking up on this. The Dems give out the free bread. The GOP is providing the entertainment; sad; very sad...

    This thing is going to go very badly before things improve...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have pretty much surrendered all hope Pete. This reminds me of the beginning of the downfall of the Roman Republic.

      Delete
  2. Only one thing you ever need to know about voting.

    Rule 1. Never vote for a Femocrat...er I mean Democrat.

    Rule 2. When in doubt see rule 1.

    That's all the info you ever need :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preppy - While you know as a principal I never comment about politics here, I will say as a political scientist that I have found it increasingly alarming over the past few cycles that both parties (although I would argue the Democrats are farther along in this process) have become very non-tolerant of other opinions within the party besides the prevailing one. This creates a devaluing of the diversity (of opinions and beliefs, in this case) that our society tells us we need to value. Also, it creates the sort of reward and punishment structure demonstrated in authoritarian governments where to not hold the approved position is to be cut out at best and punished at worst. I should think that all thinking people, regardless of party affiliation, would be alarmed by this.

      Delete
  3. Also you cannot turn a Constitutional Republic into a mob rule Democracy. It just don't work and ends up exactly as we are seeing today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Demonstrating the wisdom of the Founders.

      Honestly Preppy, the best I have come to hope for as an outcome of this election is an agreement that we need to separate peaceful.

      Delete

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!