Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Starting The Day: Have a Plan

So now I've gotten enough sleep. The reality is that even with the sleep, the day is still there and ready to have a crack at me. And the second reality is that unchecked, the day will overrun any good intentions I have to accomplish anything.

That's why I need a plan.

My morning is remarkably - almost frighteningly - planned out for me by me. Is it written down anywhere? No, of course not - even I'm not that OCD (yet, anyway). But it tends to always be the same, on the same schedule.

After rising, I pray and read my morning Scripture and the Proverbs chapter for the date (31 chapters, 31 days) and work on my memorization (currently working through Titus) and usually read a devotional text. Then I do my language portion: some Old Testament Greek, some Old English (I never anticipate becoming fluent, of course, but a reading knowledge would be nice). After this, lately I have been reading some motivational books (that will be in tomorrow's post).

After this, Physical Training and exercise. I've been trying - not always successfully to alternate running (MWF) and weight training (TTHS). The timing here is a bit off sometimes: if I'm on my game, I'm out the door to run or in to lift by 0535; if not, as late as 0550. A little flexibility in one's schedule is never a bad thing. The going is the important thing.

When I'm back, it's rabbit and hamster time. I try not to rush this more than I have to - the rabbits (and hamsters) appreciate the attention, and it really is one of the more important things I do during the day.

After finishing with the animals, it's usually off to the computer to check my e-mail and post my quotes on the locations where they exist on the Internet. I don't do my blogging at this point, but instead return to the couch to practice Japanese and eat breakfast.

Following breakfast, it's on to writing (just like today). The time it takes varies greatly - sometimes the words flow and I'm easily completed (I try to average 500-600 words a post), sometimes they drag and it takes a lot longer. However, usually by 0730 the work is done.

And then? Loose time before I shower. Make lunch, perhaps check a few websites I frequent, maybe practice Iaido for a few minutes. It's largely dependent on how long it has taken me to do everything else - and what I feel like.

Is my schedule cast in stone? Not at all. Sometimes I oversleep. Sometimes the weather outside is frightful and running sounds cold, or reading takes more time than I anticipated, or the bunnies want a bit more love. The important thing is that I get up every morning not having to start with a sense of "What do I need to do?" but rather a guided plan of what I should be doing. By the time I'm in the car on my way to work, I've accomplished many of the things that are important to me personally - which matters when your time is limited and you don't feel you are really doing that which you love to do.

Try it yourself. Pick five things to do in the morning. They don't have to be mine - you have your own interests. But plan your day from when you rise and find out if, by the time you're done, you don't have a sense of making something happen in your life before you walk out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome (and necessary, for good conversation). If you could take the time to be kind and not practice profanity, it would be appreciated. Thanks for posting!